Skin The Gerbil

Is it just me or does skin the gerbil purposely have like random curve balls to mess up your flow? Even though the elements are all simple a few parts in there catch me off guard. The final trapeze miss gets me alot. It seems like this trick was made to have a lot of weird stuff mixed in like that to keep you on your toes. Is it just me that thinks this?

1 Like

Good. Trick. Is good.

3 Likes

I think this is interesting because to me skin the gerbil is one of the most mindless tricks. I end up falling into it when I just noodle around instead of putting thought into throwing

1 Like

Maybe it’s just me just learning it. Right after I posted that I was getting more comfortable with it. The miss part and rolling back out without hitting the strings seemed so simple but it was hard to get the flow for me.

1 Like

It definitely takes practice to get into the flow, but when you do it’s a heck of a fun trick.
I think that’s one of the things that makes Doc Pop so great, his tricks are always fun to throw.

4 Likes

Here’s the history of it: PopCast Yo-Yo Vlog: The History of Skin The Gerbil - YouTube

3 Likes

I remember getting slightly frustrated with it too when I was learning it. I was like, this is a basic trick how can I not hit it with this super wide gap bimetal lol. So I stopped trying it, learned a few other tricks, came back to it, and wah-lah. Somehow I was just able to do it. Think I just needed more time with the yoyo. Slow my mind down a bit and just feel it.

1 Like

I always been interested in the history of tricks. He mentions in there alpha and beta movements. I think that describes exactly what I’m talking about ironically.

hehe yeah especially at first while learning it I could totally relate! - The redirects totally threw me off at first, but after spending a bunch of time on it, it started to flow! - A great trick though to learn redirectional tricks and lots of great elements to help you further your own tricks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s a great trick to bust out the good old freehand one. I didn’t think about it til watching that video posted above. I’ve been neglecting my responsives a little lately as some tricks I been learning have pops that make it tough on responsive. I took a bunch of bites trying pop and fresh with my freehand one.