skill-yoyo level ratio

I’ve noticed that some people have amazing yoyos, but aren’t really that good. Is there like a common skill-yoyo level ratio?

Nope just wallet size.

2 Likes

Your making me feel bad. :stuck_out_tongue: I think it is more like “Huh, the world champion won with this yoyo, I want to be just like him!” then they buy the awesome yoyo.

I guess I have yoyos way beyond my “skill” level, but I also like to collect them.

There’s just something about the look and feel that I love.

I don’t think there is a real skill level = yoyo thing.

We can agree some yoyos cater better to beginners, but that’s not to say a high end throw can’t be beneficial to a beginner either, provided they are making efforts and as a result can take advantage of that high quality yoyo to help them learn faster.

I’ve been throwing almost 6 months now. Surely I can’t by worthy of owning CLYW yoyos or One Drop yoyos. Yet I do. And plenty of others as well.

Only the player can say what does and doesn’t work best for them.

There is definetly yoyos that are good for learning on but once you get the feel I see really no set skill level to grade of yoyo ratio. Its all about opinion and some people fall for the world champion hype and are stuck with a yoyo that isnt quite for them even though its the “best there is”. My only advice would be do a little research before buying and I think you’ll be very happy with your yoyo no matter how expenisve it is.

You’re “worthy” of owning a $100 yoyo once you realize it won’t make any difference in your skill.

I have nearly 10 yoyos – 3 are ‘high-end’ throws. I buy them because I love their different feels, the different niches they fill and I love having a collection. If it’s worth 100 bucks to you, then go for it. People just need to make sure they don’t buy for the wrong reason - e.i. thinking it will make them better.

Well, first off what’s your definition of “good.” Jensen Kimmitt won worlds in 2010. Does that mean that high end metals should be the yo-yos he uses just because he’s that good? Nope, he saw everyone using High End Metals and such and decided to troll with a plastic Northstar.

It’s in the player’s hand. Every yo-yo matches everyone’s skill. That level of skill’s job is to bring out the yo-yos full potential, not the other way around.

~Spin On!

PS: Plastics FTW!

We’ll agree to respectfully have different points of view on this. While I won’t discount the skill of the player being a primary factor, sometimes a yoyo based on it’s specifications can be a more ideal fit for a player, in which case it is still up to the player to bring out the full potential of the yoyo now that it’s more possible thanks to a yoyo that’s better suited to that player’s style of play.

Example:
I had a Shure SM57 on a guitar cabinet one night. Yeah, it was happening, but it wasn’t what I’d want it to be. That day, at my house arrived some brand new ribbon mics, but I couldn’t break away to get them. So, the next day I ran home to get the ribbon mics. I immediately swapped out the SM57 with the Cascade Fat Head II Live mic(1 of 2 identical mics, I tend to buy mics in muiltiples). Immediately, the mic sat properly in the mix without any additional changes, including no changes to EQ or gain.

Similarly, I have had problems for YEARS with female Asian vocalists. I won’t go into the “I’ll whisper/sing so you have nothing usable for performance, but I’ll talk LOUD between songs, so you better put a 20:1 ratio on a compressor inserted into my channel” stuff. But, putting a weak Asian female singer on a dynamic mic, it was killing me, but again, some of it wasn’t my fault. Stuck the same vocalist on a microphone using a condenser element, and now I’m getting a better signal from the performer with no other adjustments. I still have the gain issues, but they aren’t so bad now.

One more mic example:
Had a guy test out a bunch of mics since we had dead time before the bands arrived and the PA was set. Mics ranged from $40 to $540. Turns out from what I had, the ideal match was a $89 microphone. He sounded like crap on the $540 mics. Many other mics he sounded decent on, but that $89 mic was the ideal match for him. However, just because he sounded best on it, doesn’t mean his rap is gonna be better because of the mic, that’s the part he has to bring to the table.

You make a valid point about Jensen “trolling it” with a Northstar, which DOES show how much is dependent on the skills of the player. But he also most likely had the choice to use whatever he wanted from YYF inventory during his run as a YYF sponsored player.

Better tools in the hands of skills people make better results. No doubt about it. Bad tools in the hands of skilled people still produce fantastic results. Great tools in the hands of not so skilled people don’t equate to better results.

Matching the tool to the user is always an ideal way to go. It’s not about cost.

Maybe, every yo-yo is compatible with everyone, but some are more compatible with others?

That’s pretty much it.

You don’t really have much of a choice but to try alot of yoyos in the least expensive way possible and find witch is best for you. Then and only then can you find what works best for you, then if you want you can pick witch end of the price spectrum you want as well…but if the yoyo works great for you then price shouldn’t be an issue.

But I hate witches.

Then burn them!

I’m one of these guys

I just can afford $100 or $200 throws and I like nice objects, if you happen to see me with a cheap throw, it usually means that someone gave it to me.

some collectors barely can play, they just like to have rare and exclusive items.

Throw her into the pond!!

See if she weighs as much as a duck!

If she drowns she’s not a witch, if she survives, burn her on a steak.

What else floats?

Tiny little rocks?