Single trick VS Combo

Hello everyone,

I was curious about this, there are so many different type of video content around and I was wondering what people prefer in term of pure playing (without consider the quality of the video), I am a guy that like long and intricate combos full of slacks/tech elements and I enjoy them much more than a single trick “hit an run” (in the style of Andrew Bergen for example) but so many people love to watch a single banger trick that “impress” at the moment but last a few seconds.

I am asking as I like to make videos and usually I create combos trying to make it as complicate and weird as possible but I never wrapped my head around on create single banger tricks which can be fun to try to create and study as well.

What are your preferences?

• Single trick
  • Combo
0 voters
4 Likes

Combo for amazement,
Tricks because they feel more achievable at my level (sometimes).

If I was in your shoes I would consider doing some single tricks though, I might be wrong but I assume they require a bit less time to perform/film/edit than an infinite combo.

6 Likes

I prefer the longer combos.
My favorite combos are clean combos that never stop flowing. For example, Toru and Choi In Hyeok’s flow is dope.
But I also really like single tricks.
I think polo’s tricks are also the best.
It’s a lot of fun to watch (and the sound framing is great too).

4 Likes

I can not pick one of those two.

You long combos seriously impress me. And a lot of times I’m like “I wish I could do that”.

But a single trick or single element explained is what sticks with me most and has me learning.

Even when learning “tricks” I tend to pull those apart in to elements so that I can use those in my own combos.

I’d love if it you picked out elements from your long combos every now and then and explained/showed those in detail so that I could learn them.

6 Likes

I second this! I would love to see some tutorials from Waltz too!

5 Likes

I like both a lot. Any single element I try to learn and work on is just new yocabulary I can try to work into something longer eventually.

4 Likes

I feel many of the same things already expressed here.
If I “could” do combos that were even half of what you normally put out Big Al…I think I would love them…but alas…I am a long way from there. I much more enjoy to watch people do the long combos because that is far more pleasing to see. And Albertino…you always perform with the greatest of enthusiasm and the most sincere of smiles on your face. Please don’t change your style on our account. Of course…if you think that by applying your skills…you may be able to invent new single tricks…then by all means…add to the collection brother. There’s only a million to learn already…what’s one more, right??:rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Ditto on all the above…

Combos are really cool for artistic style videos and demos. Cool factor 1000% but for learning I obviously prefer a single trick or element. Sometimes in a combo you see an element you like but there is no way of knowing how to get there or what it’s named.

If you are thinking about content maybe you break the combo down into its elements, bookmarking the combo somehow.

5 Likes

i prefer to learn a single trick beginning to end and then figure out how to use some or all of the elements in original combos with parts of other tricks. the goal is always to build on what I can already do. i don’t have much patience and it takes me a really long time to learn completely new elements, let alone an entire combo.

3 Likes

Thanks very much for the answers anyone, I was messing around with some new stuff yesterday, I do have a new “Normal” long combo to post today but I think next one will be a short one with a tutorial in it, I am organising and understanding how to do it without take 3 hours filming all the parts, is not a super hard combo but just with a couple of passages that can seem weird, I will see if I am able to record it and do a decent tutorial :slight_smile:

For the rest I see many “bangers” on Instagram that last a couple of second this is why my question, it wasn’t exactly related to me or my videos but in general for the yoyo world, I learned a couple over those months just in case I fancy a contest ahahahah will have to start to create them as well!

5 Likes

Oh I post a lot of tricks like these. Usually it’s a new 3a element I’m just excited about and want to share. These are often new things I’ve just started landing but don’t have consistent enough yet to put into a longer combo. I mix it up also though like I said earlier and sometimes feel like posting a longer combo. I also don’t always have enough new trick material to fill a longer combo but will have found something I’m excited about and want to share. My options are to work it into a combo with older elements I’ve shared already or to just show the newer idea. I do both of those also.

1 Like