Shutter bearing seat?

Right. It’s not blasted, tumbled or satined. It’s like they took it off the machine, then did some basic smoothing to remove machining marks and then off to anodizing. This really shouldn’t be a surprise, as YYF isn’t known for making a lot of their metals with grind-friendly surfaces. They do, just not that often.

This is is still a great yoyo.

Does it grind good?

Not really.

A good grinding yoyo will have some sort of blasted, tumbled or satined surface treatment. As a result of most companies yoyos that are surface treated, the colors aren’t necessarily vibrant. That’s not to say the colors can be rich and still amazing to look at, they just don’t have that “Shine” quality to them.

OK, for example, the Square Wheels Royale. Keep in mind this is a pre-production release version:

http://sphotos-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s720x720/62958_280011055462341_2065439367_n.jpg

While the colors are still really great, they aren’t “shiny”, such as in this one, a Square Wheels Rockefeller. I purposely chose the non-blasted one. I was warned it was not a grinding yoyo, but I still stand behind my choice for this one. They have also released this model(but not colorway) with a blasted finish:

http://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/860592_283059895157457_823548982_o.jpg

Now a side by side, with a Rex on the far left:

http://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/861428_283061795157267_314110413_o.jpg

So, now looking at the Shutter:

http://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/981568_365247313605381_1544170844_o.jpg

You can see it’s rather shiny. The graphics in the rim do help with grinds a bit though, but finger and arm grinds are really not all that great.

Keep in mind, doing some sort of surface treatment would pretty much require they bump the prices up.

Are there any YYFs that grind good?

Of what I have, no. My metals include the Roll model, superstar, 2013 superStar, MVP, Mutant DNA, Equilateral, dv888, Mighty Flea, Shutter and Proton. Of these, the Mighty Flea’s surface treatment feels raw and as a result, is a better grinder than the rest that I own.

If you want to do fast grinds, they are all good, such as running across your arm or something. Other than that, no.

I think YYF has done some runs where they did blasted treatments for certain models. They sold out fast. I didn’t get one. I’m sure they’ll do some other runs here and there with surface treatments.

Do you have a summit? Is it good for grinding?

No, I don’t have a Summit. I don’t get the Collab models. I know, it sounds strange. In a world of “grey area”, I prefer my yoyos to be “single brand”. However, I have played one and I really gotta say it is a fantastic yoyo and something I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend to others to get.

It one were to be gifted to me, I wouldn’t refuse it.

Does it grind good? Yes. Nearly all CLYW’s and One Drops are great for grinds. This Summit is no exception.

I want one for my birthday sooo bad!

The Shutter and Summit play vastly different. I’m not saying one is better than the other, only that they are different. Both are ideal choices. The Shutter’s main advantage is speed. The Summit is fine at any speed, it just comes out the gates on the medium speed side, leaning towards a bit of floaty type performance that can be adjusted with changing the side effects.

If you’re eying the Summit, I’d steer you towards that. If budget is an issue, the Shutter is fantastic. If you want something similar to the Shutter, the sine//saw would be a great option. as it has a more solid feeling over the Shutter.

LOL! You crack me up Studio.

The truck load went smooth and I did it on my own, so I ended up with some time. I just tossed some more items into the truck(misc mic stands, new gear, things like that.

Being a sound production company requires a lot of prep work. Since I won’t have any support out there, I gotta make sure I’m fully prepared. I’m debating taking a soldering iron and capacitors to do on the spot amp repairs should something crop up.

I’m not an anime fan. I do this job for the money.

I know. Just, for some reason, your response to Mordo made me bust out.