Show some plastic yoyos you made

Question: Are cabal guts glued in? or just press fitted?

2 Likes

question: what are cabal guts?

Cabal guts are the response area + bearing seat system that the OD Cabal uses. OD sells just the system for people who want to turn their own yoyos.

8 Likes

that’s awesome!

Press fitted.

6 Likes

Looks like you’ve got a keeper finally! I hope you love it :smiley:

3 Likes

Indeed they can be.

2 Likes

Here’s some nicer pictures with natural light.

20 Likes

that’s so sick looking, oh my gosh I’ve got to get my hands on one of these

And you can… For the huge price of $160.

2 Likes

then I might have to wait 12 years while I try to find a job

2 Likes

Yeah! I’ve always wanted to own a Spinworthy Unresponsive. :joy:

4 Likes

Well you have a really nice looking one there! I always have loved the appearance of white POM.

2 Likes

Nnnooooooooooooo

1 Like

Made a Stout today. This is the second one of these I’ve ever made. The cup is slightly different from the original and more H than the previous. Plays very well with good stability and spin time for those who care about that sort of thing. Has that smooth feeling in play that POM gives.

Because of the time it takes to turn plastic bearing yoyos, I won’t be making many more. It’s not worth the effort simply because, well, everyone makes good unresponsives. Mine don’t offer much more than the fact they are hand turned, so thier price is not one people would be willing to pay.

I just saw in A BST post that someone is selling one of my unresponsives. They probably have many others they could sell instead, but they chose to sell a one-of-a-kind Spinworthy that was made for them. That is of course fine, but it just goes to show that the hours at the lathe don’t
mean a thing when there are many other unresponsives to choose from.

53x47x64.4

7 Likes

I had never met with this discussion until yesterday, and although I looked at it very, very quickly, I was really impressed.
I start from the fact that I did not understand that what you create, I also imagine your fixed wooden axes, are made with a wood lathe, using freehand gouges !!!
This is an incredible thing and requires immense skill and professionalism.
I have a metal lathe, which therefore has longitudinal and transversal wagons, equipped with graduated flyers with a centesimal scale; I can entrust my work to a (complex sometimes) sequence of steps that I carry out by measuring the tool displacements thanks to them … but you can only count on the enormous sensitivity of your hands and mind !!!
I make pieces thanks to the great help of a machine, you create art only relying on your enormous skills !!!
Turning on wood lathes is the thing that fascinated me most, an absolute art … you have all my greatest esteem and envy (in an exclusively positive sense).
For example, I cannot understand how it is possible to obtain the repeatability of such beautiful curved shapes or the repeatability of such precise thicknesses on several pieces, working freehand.
Think, for my mind, it is already difficult to understand how it is possible to work a piece and overcome the frictional force of the tool only by fixing it by pressing it on a support.
Need sensitivity and skills unknown to me, congratulations!
We live very far away, if it were not so, I would have spent a lot of my free time watching you work … often I start watching videos on youtube of people who do what you do … I am enchanted and I think what I see is among the most impressive things that the human being is able to do !!!

11 Likes

@persson,from one craftsman to another;

thank you. It means a lot to me.

It is so difficult to explain to people the just how painstaking the process is of making precision turned objects on a wooden lathe all freehand. Particularly plastic bearing unresponsives. Everything must be done with the utmost accuracy, with hours of concentration.

Did you know that there’s no sanding of any kind done on these either? The finish you see is straight from the gouge.

At this stage, I have heard of no-one else that has turned plastic unresponsives on a wood lathe. They may be out there, but I know of no other.

Wooden fixed axles I find easy, but these plastic bearing yoyos… Another story.

8 Likes

Thanks but it is more correct to say: From a craftsman (you) to a hobbyist (me).
What you do, for me, is unbelievable, already staying on the fixed axes … On yoyo unresponsive, with separate cups and axle / bearing system, it has something miraculous!
If you didn’t see how you are working and I had to rely only on the yoyos you made, especially looking at their profiles and the symmetry of the cups I would have thought that only from a CNC machine could they have come out !!!
I don’t even know myself, someone capable of doing what you do.
It is good that people understand that all we can buy and have purchased to date, is the ability of people who know how to draw 3D well, (already at that stage you can get very valuable information, such as estimating the final weight, etc. That you can not have and you have to proceed by trial and error and over time rely on the experience you acquire) and then entrust their ideas to professionals who are able to prepare fantastic and very precise machines that work.
In other cases, these designers are also the professionals themselves who work and know how to make their machines work (OneDrop, General-Yo, Oxygene, etc. the best known examples).
But you, you are really the only one who can fully claim to be “the one who creates his objects !!!”
If I can use an example that is used here in Italy as a comparison: “up to now I have known people very capable of using the calculator, but you are the first I meet who knows math and its rules!”
As for the finish that comes directly from the tool and from your hands, I had no doubts, not because it is not an amazing thing but because it is something within the reach of your great art.
As for the reflections I have read of the possible prices … The question of time is the least important, here the “quality” of the time spent has relevance …
I have no idea of ​​the price at which a miracle can be sold, because these yoyos are that!

3 Likes

Not entirely true @persson . I don’t make the bearing seat and axle cap. They are machined by Onedrop. I only make the plastic halves.

2 Likes

Do you think you wouldn’t be able to do it? Maybe with a manual metal lathe? Also hobbyist?
Those are the easiest parts to do.
Halves are very difficult to make.
The impressive thing is to make a series of them, all the same with a non-CNC machine.
The amazing and unique thing is to do them completely freehand on a wood lathe !!!

4 Likes