Shipping in an Envelope

Just saying, I got my shutter from YYE in an envelope, and I’m completely fine with that. Why not?

agreed.

I do basically the same thing as yoyodoc, but I add another filled out label in the box most of the time.(forget sometimes and tape it up before I remember.)
I do this so if the label gets messed up, the post office will open it. If there is another label inside they will ship it to the address. :slight_smile:
I don’t take apart yoyos at all though. I have had people send me them that way and I guess I don’t care as long as it gets too me. seems like their risk more then mine. I have had someone send me a yoyo from Europe just plopped into a bubble mailer and it got too me just fine. So its possible for sure but doesn’t seem exactly a great way to go about it.

I got my Shutter from a different seller in a padded envelope and it was ok as well. Of course, it was in the original box as well. I bought a Protostar off of eBay and received it in a nice, solid iPhone box.

The iPhone box made me feel better.

It is easy for anybody to be ‘fine’ with getting a Yoyo in an envelope that arrives with zero damage to the Yoyo inside.

When or if you ever get a Yoyo in an envelope, and it is damaged and the envelope looks like it took a beating…then, no doubt, you most likely ‘won’t be alright with that’.

1 Like

Well, yeah, but I’m saying if YYE does it, than it should be fine to do.

If you are trading or selling a Yoyo, and your half of the deal is shipped in an envelope that just unfortunately gets damaged; what YYE does as a standard practice, will not explain away the damaged Yoyo.

YYE is prepared to deal with Postal accidents. If, for example, you mail a guy a Yoyo and you mail it in an envelope, instead of ‘bullet-proofing it, in a box with bubble wrap; telling the sad recipient,’ Well, sorry about the Yoyo getting thrashed. I figured it would be fine, since YYE ships some stuff that way’.

Your logic is flawed. As I mentioned earlier in my oratory, ‘you’ do everything you can to prepare a shipment against things you cannot control, once the package leaves your hands.

YYE has Customer service. You have only you.

My focus in packaging is primarily to limit potential pitfalls/problems of damage in transit.

Most stuff will ‘get there ok’ almost no matter how you send it: box, envelope, in a cigar box, tied shut with Yoyo strings or inside a cereal box, secured with duct tape.

But in any Yoyo deal, you alone are responsible for fulfilling your end of the transaction. Especially if you are trying to build a solid positive trade count. Remember, there is no second chance to make a good first impression.

I guess it also depends on what you are sending, sometimes. I sent Dizzo a Catch 22. I sent Vegabomb a rare collectible 888 for his collection. I sent Yomagic a 1 of 5, Wrath Colorway, he had been searching for, for a year or so. And the list goes on. I match people up with yoyos they are ‘seeking’. I got a Titanium Yoyo to Totalartist, that she had on her list.

Every one of these yoyos(and more not mentioned) had to ‘get there’, completely intact and totally undamaged. < No envelopes. Just first rate idiot proof packaging.

That’s how I roll.

Anything short of doing something right, is doing it wrong.

…What you do is perfectly fine with me. But if your method backfires on you, just be prepared to take the Loss, the way YYE is.

Yup.

2 Likes

I have received yo-yos in envelopes too, and sometimes they have been just fine. But, when we discuss the ideal way to ship, with the least chance of problems, out of all the options available, I would never choose an envelope. I think people can send a yo-yo by strapping it to a pigeon if it gets there safe and in a timely fashion. But, the problem with that is, you roll the dice about the yo-yo getting there safely. So, people can do whatever they want, but when I give advice about how to ship with the least chance of it coming back to haunt you, it is always advised to ship in a box. I never received a high end metal from a store in an envelope. Maybe a $20 plastic or a cheap metal, but the best stuff is shipped the safest way. So, when I think of the “best way” to ship, I always recommend…a box. It is clearly not the only way, but I think it is the best way.

As stated above, it is the responsibility of the shipper to ensure that the yo-yo gets there in the condition described. Having said that, it baffles me why some shippers do not safeguard their own interest and ship in the most secure fashion. The boxes I use even have the weight they can withstand stamped on them. An envelope will not meet that standard. If USPS stacks other heavy packages on your envelope, your yo-yo is getting crushed.

Stamp on my boxes:

Also, I’ll post this link here since I took the effort to draft it long ago. These kinds of threads pop up quite often. My guide to shipping:

http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,56953.0.html

I would rather receive a boxed yoyo in the mail than one in an envelope? Wouldn’t you?

Therefore I ship in boxes. Just my perspective.

Boxes here.

I used to disassemble and all that, but I think assembled is the way to go, with one provision: use a cube-shaped box. The regular priority box for USPS is pretty flat, even for a disassembled yoyo.