How do you ship your yoyos?

For those experienced with with selling or trading on the BST, what have you found to be the most effective way to ship your yoyos? By that, I mean what is the cheapest way to still safely send a throw or multiple throws with tracking info?

1. What courier?
  2. Packaged how (small box [list dimensions], bubble mailer, flat rate box/envelope, etc)?

I’m hoping to create a helpful topic that might could be referenced in So this is your first time using the B/S/T. This helps buyers get the item as cheaply as possible and sellers to make the most profit. I’m honestly surprised there’s not already been a discussion on this. I’m mostly looking for tips within the con. US, but advice for elsewhere could still be helpful to others.

2 Likes

Haven’t shipped or dealt in the BST yet, but when I do I promise you all no matter what yoyo, price, etc it will be packaged to survive nuclear warfare

2 Likes

I think that uline 200lb-rated boxes are an unofficial standard here for small shipments, although some yo-yo packaging is too big for the standard 4x4 or 5x5 ones.

2 Likes

I always keep the shipping boxes from the manufacturer or whomever I bought yoyos from. I also always keep the original box the yoyo came in. I’ll put it back in it’s original box and pick out a shipping box from the pile. The main thing is to be sure it’s packed tight and not bouncing around in the shipping box. Pack it with shipping paper or bubble rap. I always use USPS because I live two blocks down the street from a post office.

3 Likes

If I don’t have the original box, I usually wrap the yo-yo like a burrito in craft paper and toss it in a small box (5x5x5”ish) and ship standard mail via USPS. Make sure you have a scale handy if you’re not going directly to the post office (using stamps.com for instance). I’d say most single yo-yo packages can ship within the continental US for $3.50-$7 depending on weight and distance.

3 Likes

I think I’ve generally in Conus seen pirate ship as the currier service utilizing usually usps as the currier that’s cheapest. Requires you have a small food scale and measuring tape.

A small cardboard box, tape and some bubble wrap or packing paper is usually enough. I’ve seen other options in packing but as long as the yoyo is cushioned it’s usually not a problem. If you have bulk string going along that can also act as packaging.

If the yoyo has its original packaging that’s usually enough to keep it safe with sone packing paper for cushion and to keep box form. Small parts should be taped to cardboard or original box. If multiple items in box make sure each is wrapped and secured properly or they will ding each other. Generally it’s a battle between weight and keeping the stuff safe. Smallest box that still allows plenty of light packing material to cushion throws is best option. Sadly there is no special way to go about this or standard.

If your shipping parts some cardboard and an envelope might be enough.

USPS

I use YYExpert and One Drop Boxes. It’s always around 6$.

2 Likes

There’s two shipping methods that I consider acceptable:

#1 is to disassemble the yoyo completely, wrap each half in bubble wrap, put the axle/bearing in small bag and then wrap it all in tape. This will survive a bubble mailer with enough padding no problem, and is pretty popular in Japan. Mileage may vary with the destructiveness of some US-based carriers, so I usually opt for a box when using the USPS. I wouldn’t do this with a high value/rare yoyo, but for just random BST stuff yeah.

#2 is just to wrap the yoyo in tissue paper or some other packing material, ideally put it in a yoyo box or if not just more packing material. I usually give my boxes a quick shake test and if I can hear anything shifting it means more packing material is needed.

I personally use ShipStation, pirateship is also a great service. Would recommend avoiding the USPS Click-N-Ship option like the plague, tends to go down constantly and has endless issues.

Personally I went out and just bought a stack of 6x4x4 boxes and they work fine. Can go smaller if you only plan on selling one yoyo at a time. Make sure that you source good boxes (ULine is a good brand) as opposed to just buying at random, since you’ll get super thin cardboard that essentially is a bubble mailer.

2 Likes

I use USPS Priority Mail shipping. They provide the boxes for free at the post-office. It provides tracking and will arrive in three days at the most.

I usually take the yo-yo apart and package the bearing and the axle separately in a small zip-loc. If I have the OG box I collapse it - if possible. Sometimes, for a high-end yo-yo, the OG box will decide the size of the shipping box. If so; I ask the buyer to pay the extra postage of the bigger box if they want the OG manufacturer packaging.

1 Like

Boxes:

I politely encourage that others DO NOT use U-Line whenever humanly possible. Well documented major funder of election denial and other not so Yoyo community friendly groups. Take the time to look them up and spend the extra $1 somewhere else rather than funding something you personally may not agree with indirectly. You like what they put your spent money towards? Cool! Go nuts.

Staples for boxes:
$~11 for 25ct of 6x6x6, 6x4x4 or smaller. Coupons + store pickup can make it cheaper.

Amazon Warehouse sales for bulk cardboard boxes where you can get them at same or better prices than U-Line.

Local Boxes You may also have local places to buy boxes from instead, e.g. Grainger Industrial

==========
I ship yoyos assembled in the manner in which I list and just wrap them to prevent jiggles. (Dollar Tree has 35ct+ of white tissue paper). Usually do a video of the throw (for myself if not shared ahead for some reason) before mailing so condition is clear and nobody has pushed back saying there’s hidden vibe or anything since. I wrap them in paper because some companies (used to) include extra axles and that’d scratch the crap out of the cups when mailed loose in a box with a throw. Even printer paper wrapped around a throw is good enough compared to nothing.

Pirateship is solid at the moment for shipping. Savings are worth having a printer.

32 ECT vs 200# is more the norm for cardboard quality and it doesn’t add as much weight to overall package. I’ve had no problems for at least a decade or maybe 1/200 where there was an issue and that’s because a mail truck caught on fire.

Scales/Printers:

• It’s worth buying a printer and scale to save $1.33 to $8 a package using pirateship if you’re mailing or trading a bunch
  • Mail scales are pretty cheap and useful, alternatively you can find good kitchen scales that cover most peoples needs at a Ross or TJ Maxx, etc. here for $5 or less - AND you can use them when measuring out ingredients for baking/cooking.
4 Likes