Sharing the love

Gave away my FNG to a younger coworker today. Weeks ago he was talking about how he needed to pick up a hobby and about how his younger brother has been constantly trying to show off to him with some beginner tricks on an undetermined responsive throw. I just happened to have my M1 in my pocket to show him unresponsive. His reaction was very positive so I informed him of the local hobby shop.

Well today I had my FreeHand Nextgen in my lunchbox and he still had not been to the hobby shop. So I just gave it to him on a whim. He immediately started to try to bind it much to the chagrin of the foreman that walked in 10 seconds later. Almost got the basic bind down by the end of lunch.

This is probably the third freehand I have just given to someone that seems to have the interest and talent for it. I guess the FNG is a good yoyo to give to a FNG (Fine New Gentleman). Ordering a replacement for it now as I still miss my other donated freehands.

I guess Duncan does equal love, and love is meant to be shared. Anyone else find themselves giving away good Duncan plastics? I can’t bring myself to give away any other brand of yoyo.

17 Likes

I have a few throws I could keep in a the car… The next person that shows an interest when I am throwing, is going to get a throw. I am going to give them a one. Great idea for making room.

Someone else is going to have a great weekend and catch the bug.

6 Likes

You typed this as I was throwing a YYF one. Get out of my walls please. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I love this - and couldn’t agree more that no other brand really gives me this feeling of wanting to share/spread the love and joy of yoyoing.

I’ve have also found the FH1 is like… the PERFECT yoyo to give away to someone interested in throwing. (Although they can definitely add up if you’re not careful @ 25 bucks a pop lol). Starts responsive but can be turned unresponsive as well eventually, and can handle a hell of a lot. I’ve given a few away now, and one of the most awesome times (and the first) was when a kendama player out in the wild spotted me yoyoing - he was nice enough to just give me his Kendama, so I hooked him up with a Freehand One.

Good reminder that I should keep a few of my plastic butterflies in the car for people who take an interest while out and about. Giving can sometimes feel better than receiving, but man, it’d be awesome to be a kid and get hooked up with a free yoyo - you never know what it could lead them to! (Hopefully not excessive yoyo aquisition syndrome and way less money in the bank LMAO)

4 Likes

“Fine New Gentleman” :laughing: Not exactly they way I’ve heard it before, but I like it!

1 Like

I bought a couple butterfly XTs to potentially give away on Sunday, if anyone curious comes over to the meet up

2 Likes

That’s a super nice topic and a great story!

I love to share the love as well, in around 2 weeks I gave a magicyoyo K2 and a Yoyofactory One to a friend of my girlfriend and his son, they are playing like mad men and it’s so sweet that yoyo give some activity father/son it made me happy to have introduced them to this world, they also sending videos to me with the progress and I sent them video with all the trick ladder.

I gifted a yoyo to my brother while he was living in London with me just to mess around together and he bring it back with him when he went back to live in Italy as a memory from me.

I think during my years of yoyoing I gifted at least 15/20 yo-yos to let the people start or just have a memory of me.

But I also received the love, recently @yoyodoc gifted me a beautiful ILYY - Wasabi that is one of the yoyos that let me love yoyoing deeply back long time ago.
Years ago I received from the Italian yoyo community for my bday during a meeting a beautiful YYF-Protostar and a Spyy - Punchline that was a yoyo that I really loved but wasn’t able to afford back then.

Hope during those years I will be able to gift more yoyo and make people happy and have fun

7 Likes

Ive given away 4 Freehands and many, many butterfly’s. Toys are meant to spread joy

9 Likes

We went on a “boys weekend” and I brought 5 Whips and one FH1. My brother got the freehand and the others got Whips. My brother wondered why his was different and I explained! Shhhh, didn’t tell the others that they lost out.

The Whip is what I carry around for handouts. I’m in the airport a lot and have given away a bunch to young kids that stop to watch. The look on there faces brings so much joy and the parents are equally thrilled cause now the kids have something do besides being on their iPad.

Whip is easy for me because Hobby Lobby carries them locally. I wipe them out every time I’m in the store.

If y’all haven’t tried the Whip in unresponsive mode give it a shot!! It’s pretty dang good.

5 Likes

A few years ago Amazon had the Christmas MYY N12 for like $6 or $7 I bought a dozen of them and gave them all out at the park when kids or even adults showed interest. Now I try and keep some K2 Crystal in my bag to give away. I gave away a First Base which I kinda wish I hadn’t. Didn’t realize they were so difficult to come by. And even more painful I gave away my Weekender which seriously hurts. But the kid was so cool and had such a natural knack for yoyoing. Unfortunately I haven’t seen him back so idk if he’s kept up at it or not. I always worry other parents are going to think I’m some creeper. My girls are always way away from me so I probably just look like some sus dude talking to kids.

4 Likes