Sending more than two replies in a row

As I said, I think the social nudges are correct here and working as designed:

• nudge to get others to participate in the topic to unlock further deeper conversation

• nudge to merge, consolidate, or update previous replies rather than replying to the same topic over and over

• nudge to create your own topic so you can control it and post as much as you want about “your thing”; this can be crosslinked with the original topic and will create more overall Google Juice™ since it has a more specific title

Even the implicit nudge to discuss it amongst the community is a good one.

There’s a whole book about this if you’re interested @vegabomb. I have plenty of other reading recommendations as well if you’d like to delve into it more!

1 Like

So… who are you to decided what is correct?

I get wanting to pull the strings… but come on man.

1 Like

It’s a better outcome for everyone if Glen has a dedicated topic for his project with a proper title. :man_shrugging:

So yeah, nudges are good, in the sense that they drive people to better futures. Can Glen say “to h e double hockey sticks with you, I do what I want and no software can contain me!” … sure he can. Just edit his last post, delete his earlier non-reply, or get others to reply*. Problem solved!

* which has already happened, for the record!

Seems like forcing and “nudging” are the same thing here.

Could just be me.

1 Like

So “forcing” means giving people 4+ different ways to achieve their stated goal? Good to know… good to know…

Or let people post multiple times in a row, in a thread they didn’t start.

:man_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

The original request doesn’t even make sense any more, as there are already replies to the topic. Glen’s only limited by his :rainbow: imagination at this point!

So maybe the correct answer is “wait for someone else to reply?” I mean that’s what you’d want in any decent conversation, right, kind of a naturally diverse back-and-forth with many people participating?

Sieg Heils @codinghorror, please socially nudge us how and where you think we should behave on forums. Conformity is good for the whole.

For the record, I get where you’re coming from. I really do. But people aren’t zeros and ones.

Anyways I’m over this thread.

2 Likes

Glen, I’ll sell you my account so that you can post 2x in a row in that thread.

3 Likes

Haha, thanks. I probably hog the plastic (and wooden) making thread anyway.

You all need to start making and posting more of your own yoyos!

4 Likes

My wanting to post in a thread twice in a row doesn’t “nudge” anyone to do anything. That’s flawed logic.

Here you confuse the word “nudge” with “force”. There’s no nudging going on, you’re making people conform.

When a thread is called “show your yoyo pictures” the creator wants to see other pictures. Not his/her own.

This thread is absurd. Numerous reasons have been stated why the “can’t post twice in a row” feature needs to be turned off. No reason has been given to leave it on. Yet it remains on.

5 Likes

None of you are going to convince him. If you really want this change, it needs to be taken up with the actual admins @YoYoExpertGarrett @AndreBoulay @YoYoExpert.

It seems as though they are typically pretty busy people though, they rarely chime in on discussions like this. So maybe it would be more prudent to direct message one of them to petition this change.

For the record, I understand why @codinghorror takes the stance that he does on this particular issue, but if this stance was meant to be hard law, there wouldn’t be a built in option to customize the limitation of consecutive comments in a given thread.

The repercussions of allowing more consecutive comments per user could get annoying in certain situations, but it seems harmless enough to try [it could easily be changed back]. These are a couple of our current best, and most active contributors petitioning this change too. @Glenacius_K and @shatterFX

If this would encourage and enable them to continue to post content, I don’t really see the harm in at least trying the limitation of the amount of consecutive responses to like 5 or something. If it really does drive the over all health of the forum into the trash, then it can be changed back! Easy peasy

11 Likes

I definitely see where everyone is coming from on both sides here…

I went ahead and increased the number of replies in a row to 5 and we can go from there.

Feel free to provide feedback either way on this one as it is implemented.

Now let’s all take a deep breath! :pray: :person_in_lotus_position:

16 Likes

1 (one)

2 (two)

3 (three)

4 (four)

5 (five)

(yup, five is it)

3 Likes

Keep it up Gregory and we’ll turn this car around!

11 Likes

Hey! I’m just testing it out here!
(Although now you’ve unlocked five more…)

6 Likes