School project: What Positive traits should a person possess to be considered a good citizen?

Someone who has a job and doesn’t rely on the government to live is a good citizen

3 Likes

Great paper topic. Such a tough one to concisely address, really. Like so many things, it is largely a matter of interpretation. Some will say that being a good citizen means supporting your government/country and being engaged in governing processes. Others will say that a good citizen questions and criticizes and may be justified in choosing to not formally participate. Or, a “good citizen” is just a positive piece of society, one who contributes to its betterment. But better for whom and how that is accomplished… I go back to interpretation. No doubt some have noticed that one’s personal politics plays a huge role in shaping their vision of citizenship. In a way, it’s a pretty loaded question in the US today.

2 Likes

thank you all for these fantastic answers!! :smile: please end strand. i really appreciate it.

1 Like

A good citizen ‘in a free Country’ is a person that understands ‘his right to swing his fist through the air ends just short of where another persons’ nose begins’.

5 Likes

I’d say strong self-awareness is a big one

1 Like

I fully understand that you mean well by stating that… but unfortunately that is far(very far) from the truth.

I am not necessarily smarter than any of you guys.

But if I am fortunate enough to continue living until March 18th, I will be 70 years old.

Ever since I was a kid, I have studied people. I try to figure out what makes people ‘tick’.

Even when I go to a restaurant(pre Covid) I Always sit in a chair that gives me the Best view. Never facing the wall. I call it people tv. The study of human nature.

In over a half century(and then some), I have developed a pretty good sense of distinguishing whether people are part of the problem or part of the solution.

And… ‘this’ is why the don’t break the law makes for good citizens fall flat>

A person can be as old or even older than I am. And not have any criminal record whatsoever. Not anything worse than maybe a few traffic tickets and such. And Still be a completely LAME excuse for a citizen.

They can be horrible neighbors. They can constantly lie to others. They can borrow from friends and never pay them back. They can mentally intimidate friends, family, co-workers, etc. They can have horrible manners at restaurants, big box stores, the movies, amusement parks, public swimming pools, at the Fitness club, at office parties, company functions, birthday parties, wedding receptions.

They can know a 1000 people and yet not be liked by any one of them. Their own parents, brothers, sisters don’t even like them. They are disrespectful, conniving, and unwilling to help even their own Mother unless there is something in it for them. They never help anybody that needs help.

And they can be even more Worthless than all the reasons I already mentioned without breaking a Single law.

So, even though being a law abiding citizen is a good thing.

Being lawful alone does not identify a person as a good citizen.

Trust me on this…

3 Likes

a good citizen has integrity. this means doing the right thing even when nobody is looking.

11 Likes

I believe @fatguysnacks247 just summed up the entire thread with 2 sentences. Well done.

5 Likes

thank you man :eyes::heart:

4 Likes

Snacks with the facts

4 Likes

Thanks for your insight. I am just a person who has undergone 2 decades of life, and I really appreciate your thoughts! I think the reason why I said a good citizen = someone who doesn’t break the law is that I feel like it’s very hard or near impossible to define what is a good person in the first place since each person has a different standard of morals. Law doesn’t equate to morals, and I absolutely agree with you that just because someone obeys the law, it doesn’t mean that they are morally correct or a good person, “Courts are courts of law and not courts of justice” - former U.S. supreme court judge. But since the question was what is a good citizen rather than what is a good person, I think the law would serve as a better tool of measurement in this scenario. Another thing I was pointing out is that being a good citizen varies on each country’s political standard point. So I think being a good citizen is actually quite limited to reflect how good the that person is actually in life, but it could be a “safe” answer.

3 Likes

I ain’t the brightest fella when it comes to these sorts of topics I guess ,but I would say being a good person and just being kind to the community is defiantly good also taking responsibility when you make mistakes even when the end result may not be in your favor. That’s all I really got to say though. Thanks.

4 Likes

9 Likes

Based off of what I’ve seen over the past year - being the solution and not the problem.

2 Likes

I absolutely love this. It makes some good sense.

1 Like

Last time I checked it’s all in the Bible. Specifically the New Testament. God bless

2 Likes

Irony: My kids used to always argue about who got to return the cart to Aldi and get the quarter back. (Not for the quarter, just to play. The quarter stays in the car.). Lately the eight year old has let the six year old just do it. So for her, not returning the cart is her way of being a good citizen.

2 Likes

though i am an avid cart returner, my line is drawn when it comes to a child left unattended in a vehicle vs. returning of a cart.

safety takes precedence.

3 Likes

Nevemind

2 Likes

The Golden Rule- Do unto others as you would have done to you. Most religions have this somewhere in their teachings. I’m not religious but this sums it up for me. Be kind, compassionate, and empathetic to others. Respect others and respect law. Just my $0.02.

1 Like