Sad- no yo-yos for me

I just want to share that I’m sad. I’m sad that the CDN dollar is so stupidly low. I’ve had to stop buying yo-yos for now, which is very sad. I would be paying 35% more to purchase anything from the good ol’ USA … so it makes cross-border shopping not so fun. I’m jonesing to buy a few new yo’s.

7 Likes

That is why we are finding options to reduce shipping within Canada to mitigate the FX impact. But I agree, the FX is a killer for CAD.

4 Likes

Maybe try some trades?

3 Likes

Canada has a number of great manufactures to choose from.

3 Likes

Not that I’m aware of … other than the place in Edmonton. Google Canadian Yoyo Manufacturers and nothing comes up.

1 Like

Rain City Skills, Monkeyfinger Design, Zero Gravity, A-rt, (formerly) CLYW and SPYY. Canada has some big company names in the game.

It might be worth seeking out Canadian yoyo groups. I’m sure the scene there is still relatively big, and you could find people to BST with domestically. I know Vancouver used to have a pretty poppin local group.

5 Likes

Monkeyfinger, raincity skills, CLYW just to name a few.

2 Likes

Thank you! They are obviously manufacturing for the USA market, otherwise I would of found them and bought most of their yos. I will look into if they would sell direct …, and if they do, their prices will most likely be in USA dollars :blush:

1 Like

Try not to be sad, look on the bright side! Now you don’t have to be distracted by what yoyo you’re buying next, now you can focus on your playing :slightly_smiling_face: And you’ll be a better player when you’re able to buy another yoyo, and have more money saved up, it’s a win win situation!

7 Likes

You’re absolutely correct :blush:

So I could be wrong here but as a Canadian shopping on the CLYW, A-RT, and Monkeyfinger sites, they all sell in usd. So you still get hit with the “fx tax”. Even though they are Canadian manufacturers the prices for the throws are still fixed to the US dollar making them fluctuate with the value of our currency. I’ve made purchases from both CLYW’s site and Monkeyfinger’s both transactions went through in usd. Truthfully I spend almost all my yoyo dollars here as it is the most cost effective and the staff and store are top notch!

2 Likes

Exactly! And agreed re: YYE!

Same here man I feel your pain. I buy $200 worth of yoyos and after the conversion + shipping it’s like $350 :sob: . I usually buy off of these forums or the BST groups, seems to be the best place to find deals.

3 Likes

Yea being Canadian I unfortunately haven’t been able to justify buying from anywhere but a buddy I found on the BST last year who awesomely enough covers the international shipping fees :sweat_smile: and he has hooked me up (for amazing prices) with an AMAZING 50+ collection over the year since we met with some absolute GEMS from OD,RSO,CLYW ,Crucial, CoreCo, Static co and a few other awesome companies :sweat_smile:

Sometimes all it takes is luckily meeting the right person :sweat_smile:

Mind you….I do kinda miss “personally”buying new releases :smiling_face_with_tear: it’s just so unfortunate how much more it seems we gotta pay because everywhere deals in USD regardless of location :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

I know it’s not possible for a lot of locations in Canada but I live pretty close to the border in BC, so I get my BST purchases shipped to a parcel holding service just across the line. Doesn’t fix the dollar being weak but at least it opens up the possibility of using the BST since people are allergic to shipping to Canadians.

1 Like