Rust question

Does the Generalto AIGR bearing rust? The bearing that came with my Hatrick rusted. :’(

Well, clearly it does. :stuck_out_tongue:

That is the guide to removing rust on bearings. Hope this helps. If not, contact the general yo support. I’m sure they can help youl.

Well when I got it, it was a bit rusty. So now it’s responsive. On a side note, I thought the AIGR was a stainless steel bearing. O_O

Stainless steel doesn’t mean it doesn’t rust. Any bearing has the potential to rust.

Then why Center Trac, Hspin and YYF’s bearings don’t rust? D:

They will. Just not like a generic bearing will. If you bought this used or traded for it then I’ll bet you the original bearing was removed and swapped with cheaper one. That is why it rusted. The old stock YYJ bearings from a few years ago would do that.

Surprisingly, I have had far more rust issues with General-Yo AIGR bearings than any other, and have seen this commonly among the community. I honestly couldn’t tell you why, but they require more maintenance and care than any other bearing I’ve used.

My AIRGs have always rusted. Id just get a new one. 10-Balls are nice.

Well i bet it’s because everyone thinks it is ok to run a bearing dry. This takes that protective layer of lube away and bam. rust.

I always run my SPECs, 10-balls, KKs, etc… dry. The only ones that rust are YYJs (not the speed bearings), and AIRGs.

I’ve got rusted dif KK’s, a speed and a CT so… no lube and no care. lol

Icthus, out of curiosity, how long have you had those bearings?

You guys sure that it dont have anything to do with regional problem?
like humidity, temperature and stuff?

I live pretty close to the ocean, but I dont think that has too much of an impact on it. I once talked to someone on the chat who lived in Arizona and had the same problem with an AIRG, so I dont think thats it.

too long.

The kk is about 4 years old. got rid of the ct a while back. didn’t use it much.

See? I only get use out of a bearing for 6 or so month before the yoyo goes goodbye or I kill the bearing for some reason. So rusting has never been much of a concern for me.

Yeah well I have a LOT of yoyo’s so…

Region doesn’t have much to do with it, unless you leave it sitting long term, without proper care and maintenance, exposed even partially to humidity. I live 2 blocks from the ocean and I don’t have any problems with rust, but I also take really good care of my bearings, including cleaning and lubing them. But, when I still lived in Kentucky, I left a yo-yo in a box in a non-climate controlled storage unit for about a year, and it developed surface rust on the bearing and tarnish on the rims. Stainless stell doesn’t mean impervious. Anything with moving parts needs to be cleaned and lubricated if you want it to last, whether it be an engine, a gun, a yo-yo, or anything in-between.

So this means AIGR will rust. I see… Honestly I think It’s an AIGR, and the bearing sounds weird. Compared to a normal bearing. I’ma think about that 10-ball :slight_smile: