Responsive C Size Quest: The Makeshift Fixed Axle Story

I’ve been playing around with my deep state. I love the shape size and weight… but it just seemed too unresponsive and hesitates a lot on pulls no matter what I do.

I tried thick lube, Vaseline, multiple wraps and just couldn’t get it to feel right. Thought about half spec c bearings and spacers or shortening the axle. I then searched for bearing blanks like the ones made by luftverk…sold out. I pondered the idea of carving and turning my own c size wood axle and scrapped that idea due to much snapping frustrations… When finally… EUREKA!!

The solution was so simple and brilliant simultaneously that it evaded my average level intellect and laziness. Why not… Gasp… Intentionally make an 8 ball bearing into a blank?

TLDR: glue + bearing = fixed axle

I thought about breaking it, packing it with sand, and even play doh. I didn’t really want to break the bearing so sand or other methods were out. Then I thought to try Elmer’s glue or even super glue. That should harden enough to keep the bearings from moving and allow for the use of solvents to restore the bearing function! I was digging for Elmer’s glue when I found some quick drying nail glue that my wife stopped using. Gave it a quick shake to make sure there was some left and there was plenty!

I excitedly deshield the 8 ball bearing on one side. Go to pop open the glue cap, then go to squeeze some luscious responsive liquid gold into the bearing and… Nothing. The glue has hardened in the nozzle. I scramble to find a needle to puncture the glue. 10 minutes later I successfully pierce the plug. I pick up the bearing in one hand and the glue in the other. I begin squirting glue cautiously into the bearing ball by ball. After a few seconds of waiting for the glue to cure, i put the glue bottle down and the bearing. The bearing doesn’t stay on the table but instead remains in my pinch grip. I glued the bearing to my fingers.

With a quick tug, my skin comes free from the bearing and I give it a test drive. I attempt to spin the bearing using a pencil jammed in the axle hole and my fingers. It appears to be slightly rotating around the pencil, but not the bearings! Success! I test again pinching the axle hole thinging and trying to spin the outer ring. Zero give.

Happy with the results, I drop several more drops of glue into the bearing for good measure. Used a paper towel to clean the undried glue. For the dried glue left on the surface areas, I simply scraped it with my finger nails and it popped right off. After replacing the shield, I pop the bearing back into the deep state. I slap on a pink xl fatty kitty string and give her a throw.

I’ve successfully created my own makeshift fixed axle. The deep state responds reliably while offering some sleep akin to wooden fixies. I tried to put one wrap knot in and it won’t sleep at all, so I prefer it with no knots. Haven’t tried any normal or fat strings but I assume the string will affect play accordingly.

If you have some old 8 ball bearings not being used… Give them a new lease on life as a fixed axle!

Day 2: 24 hours later this thing plays like a wooden fixed axle! I’m loving it! I played it deep state with pseudo fixed bearing 90 percent of the time and less than 10% SW blood cell for that time period.

No movement in the bearing. It appears that almost no torque is being applied to the bearing pieces that would cause adhesive breakage. I suspect the string loop versus the slick polished outer ring of the bearing cannot grip it enough to cause a difference in spin from the bearing versus the yoyo itself.

Day 3: No signs of the glue releasing from the “fixed” bearing. Still reliably responsive. Sleep times are even less than that if my Blood Cell though. I’m guessing that has to be due to the large flat surface area causing potentially more friction overall. Currently still using kitty xl string. Might switch to normal or fat to test results.

Stay tuned for more!

5 Likes

Excellent work! Another way, if one didn’t happen to have a spare bearing on hand, is to get nylon bushing material from the local hardware store and cut it to the correct length. Extra fiddling around but it would allow you to dial in the gap width if desired.

Your glue method is great though because anyone who’s been playing for a while probably has a worn-out bearing or two sitting in the parts box! I know I do!

Ivan

4 Likes

Love this thread.

I found that McMaster Carr sells “spacers” that are nearly identical in size to A-bearings, makes for easy bearing blanks lol

2 Likes

Cool hack!

1 Like

Science officer log star date 8132022:

24 hours later this thing plays like a wooden fixed axle! I’m loving it! I played it deep state with pseudo fixed bearing 90 percent of the time and less than 10% SW blood cell for that time period.

No movement in the bearing. It appears that almost no torque is being applied to the bearing pieces that would cause adhesive breakage. I suspect the string loop versus the slick polished outer ring of the bearing cannot grip it enough to cause a difference in spin from the bearing versus the yoyo itself.

Day 3 bumpdate.

No signs of the glue releasing from the “fixed” bearing. Still reliably responsive. Sleep times are even less than that if my Blood Cell though. I’m guessing that has to be due to the large flat surface area causing potentially more friction overall. Currently still using kitty xl string. Might switch to normal or fat to test results.

Stay tuned for more!