Response Types

What sets these response types apart? Silicone, O-Ring, Hybrid, Pad. The yoyo I want has Silicone. What does this mean? Do I have to change the Silicone often?

Silicone - A liquidy stuff that you have to pour into a little recess in the yoyo around the bearing seat. It takes a good amount of time to dry, usually 24 hours is safe. It lasts a long time, and gives unresponsive play but tight binds. Its seen in mostly in metal yoyos. It should last a few months, depending upon how much you play.

O-Rings - These are rubber circles (usually black) that go around the bearing. They don’t need to be replaced for a very long time. They give slightly more responsive play than silicone usually.

Hybrid - One half of the yoyo has an o-ring, the other has these little teeth things called Starbursts. This is seen in many plastics, as are O-Rings.

Pads - Found in Duncan Plastics and metals. They are little stickers. A bit like O-Rings, actually. However, there are many kinds of pads, so you can mix and match them to find a combination of your liking :slight_smile:

Actually, there’s flowable silicone which is what Xdohl was talking about and then there silicone which is a also a type of pad which is similar to silicone but you don’t shape the response and is usually flush.

He mentioned pads…

forgot starburst response like velocity, in which they are moveable to make more responsive or unresponsive:
the little teeth things:

but instead of an o-ring its another starburst

Nah thats a misunderstanding. Starbursts can’t move, only the ones in a velocity/401/speed dial can move.

Starbursts are just little friction bumps in the plastic. They are in the velocity, just not moveable.