Reshaped Freehand Zeros by Perry Prine (AKA the Modfather)

Ok, so the Modfather made me a deal I couldn’t refuse.

Now that I have that out of the way (it just had to happen), I acquired a pair of Modded freehand zeros from Perry a few months ago. I have been meaning to write a review, I just havent had the time until now when I have a foot of water in my carpet with a busted water heater.

Most Everyone loves the Freehand Zero. It is easily my favorite all around plastic. Then, I played with some recessed FHZ’s and loved them, so I set out to find some. Word on the street was that there was this guy from Ohio that did a pretty sweet mod. I saw one of his trades, and decided to message him. Not only was he to recess a pair of Freehand zeros for me, he was going to actually change the shape! When I got the package, here is what I found:

Naturally my first thought was, if you are shaving down the sides of a yo-yo, it is going to change the weight, and if you dont do it right, it could easily throw off the balance. Not on these babies, these yoyos play extremely well. Also, I thought that I would have to put some weight rings in them, because he had to take off weight from the original zero. Not at all! They are a little light, but nothing that makes it feel that way when you are playing with them.

They came semi- responsive out of the package with the fresh silicone and lubed bearing, but I gave um a good 20 minutes of play, and now they are unresponsive. Perry did an EXCELLENT job with the reshape and recess. They are very well balanced, and play just like the zero that was its former self, except now string catches are much more consistent with the wider catch zone. My friend who is very good at 3A loves them for playing 3A and I am learning exclusively on them anything with two sleeping yoyos.

I love freehand zeros. I ADORE these as well. They feel like a FHZ when you play with them, but with the recess and reshape, it adds a new dimension to the standard FHZ play. I hear tell if you contact Big P (username is Modfather on most forums), he might be able to fix you up with some of these gems. Also, Perry himself is a GREAT guy and is amazing to work with. Thank you Perry, and to all that dont have a gift from the Modfather, I hope you don’t wake up with a Panda head in your bed.

2 Likes

Sweet, loved all the pictures. I want a pair of those so bad they look sweet.

1 Like

I think maybe duncan should make a new series of plastics based off of this reshaped FHZ. Do they play as good as they look?

1 Like

Definitely

1 Like