Removing Freehand NextGen side caps

Does anyone have any tips on removing the side caps of a Duncan Freehand NextGen? Are they even removable?

1 Like

There is an official Duncan video on this

2 Likes

Hmm. I tried that and the caps wouldn’t budge. Maybe I didn’t have the axle in tight enough. :man_shrugging:

If it’s at all like the original FHZ caps it takes a good, hard push.

You have to push pretty hard. And make sure it’s a solid surface, I just put a axle sized hole in my cheap Ikea desk lol.

5 Likes

I’m not sure I understand how this even works. The axle is threaded into an axle slot, right? How can it be pushed at all?

On a Freehand Pro, the axle is “loose” in that it doesn’t thread into the slot, but into a small nut on the other half, which allows it to move freely and push out the side cap.

Duncan’s new axle system doesn’t use a nut/bolt like the old version or like the Replay Pro. There’s a metal hub that the axle threads into, but the hub isn’t fixed to the yo-yo. It’s almost like side effects, but they don’t fit so tight and they’re held in place by the cap.

6 Likes

Ah, I see. Thanks!

1 Like

Ohhhh I smell a patent dispute a’brewin

4 Likes

Not unless those specific metal axle holders were made by Onedrop FOR Duncan, which is entirely possible.

2 Likes

There’s no patent on Side Effects. But if there was, the Duncan axle system is only really functional when held in place by side caps so I’d say it’s different enough.

5 Likes

I was able to remove the caps, but I had to bring down a mallet pretty hard on them to make them pop out. Thanks for all the tips!

2 Likes

I got mine today, I’m putting practically all my weight on it and I still can’t pop it out

I finally got mine to pop off
I placed the yoyo in the freezer for about 15 minutes
A little bit of force and pop they go

1 Like

Yes, you are correct.

Once you turn the axle hard enough to crack the caps, they will almost fall out on their own😉

1 Like

The axle does not go past the threads. It has a little lip that stops the axle from being over screwed

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the info.

I’m just a slow learner, sorry.

But now I know that for sure :+1:

1 Like