Removing D size bearing?

Any suggestions for how to remove a D size bearing from a tight bearing seat?

2 Likes

I just had this issue with my assassin! My normal bearing removal tool was too big for D bearings, but fortunately wiggling it out with a pair of needle nose pliers worked like a charm! No damage done to the removed bearing either.

I can’t remember what I put on the bearing to protect it, maybe some cloth or cardboard and just put some pliers around it and worked it out.

Drill bit!

5 Likes

Genius! :+1:

3 Likes
7 Likes

Put the half with the bearing stuck to it in the freezer for about 15 mins. Cover axle/bearing with a cloth, and then use pliers to take the bearing off without causing damage.

1 Like

I gotta buy one of these

4 Likes

Then you can swap the bearings on hundreds of your next release. :nerd_face:

1 Like

Yep, 1/4 in. fits “C” bearings, try a couple of smaller sizes on other bearings.

3 Likes

They should have placed the keychain hole after the indent for the C bearing so you can use it without removing it from the keychain. You’re going to use it to remove C bearings most of the time anyways. I feel like it was such an oversight for a tool made to remove both C and D bearings. Zero Gravity Return Tops’ bearing removal tool also suffers from this.

1 Like

Totally agree. I might come with an improved version. Good catch @Hanker !

1 Like

Awesome! Can’t wait to see it! Makes me happy that my suggestion is taken :slight_smile:

I actually tried that and it still worked those few times.
Time to test some more boundary cases with tall bearing posts and thick keychains maybe

1 Like

Ooooo interesting. You should test it on some really tight bearing seats as well. I think those bearing seats would need a much longer part of the tool in contact with it to get them out. Most of the time I use my fingers to remove bearings that are loose enough and I think most people do the same cos it’s just the most convenient. The tool is most needed for those tighter bearing seats on some yoyos. Some are so tight I even have to use yoyorecreation’s purpose built bearing removal tool to remove them, normal bearing removers won’t even budge the bearing.