Recipe: Simplest way to make strings.

This will be useful when you’re out there in some unknown territory where there is an imminent danger or life and death situation if you don’t yoyo immediately, but you run out of string.

Ingredients:

1. Sewing thread, or any thin threads.*

Tools:

1. Anything that cuts string, a lighter can also be used.

Instructions:

1. Find something solid to tie the threads on, trees, door handles, anything. For generic sewing thread you’ll likely need 10-12 strands.
  2. Twist the non-tied end of the threads clockwise, to the point it’s twisting itself up when you give it some slack.
  3. Put the yoyo in the middle, connect both ends of the string, keep it tight at all times.
  4. Cut the string, hang the yoyo down and it will start tightening itself. Tie the slipknot and cut the excess.
  5. Fresh string is ready to be served.

*In case you have no spare thread, you’re screwed.

2 Likes

:o incredible detail!

You rock

Sadly your suggestions didn’t work for me.

First I tried to tie the threads to ‘anything’. So I tried to tie the threads to a bowl of Jello. Turned into a real mess.

Then I tried the door handle method. I almost had the string finished and some guy got in the car and drove away pulling me a mile down the street!

So I decide to make a 7 hour drive to Yosemite National Forest. There’s a 400 year old redwood tree there that is over 200 feet tall. It took 37 feet of thread to wrap around the tree.
I spun the threads clockwise until they started to coil up. But the tension literally caused the tree to fall down. It crushed: 3 trucks, six tents a Kiyak an all terrain vehicle and the Forest Rangers’ Jeep!

But I did finish one string and saved at least 20 cents…

So it wasn’t a total loss.

1 Like

You know sometimes you have to learn things the hard way, at least you’ve got one string done.
Now you can yoyo and forget your life problems for a while…

By the way I love your 2A instructional post.

The information and presentation was extremely detailed and helpful.

You didn’t get much feedback but then again there aren’t that many active 2A players anymore.

But for those that throw 2A or might consider 2A; your detailed list is a ‘must read’.

Thanks for taking the time to write up such a Solid 2A overview.

1 Like