Real Lightsabers Anyone?

I like to build lasers. They burn stuff and look awesome in the night sky.

My strongest build is 8.5W 445nm

Anyone else into photonics at all? :crazy_face:

I saw the hacksmith claim he built the first lightsaber. He didnt. He took a glass blowing torch and attached it to a backpack. It doent even use light. Here are some real photon based “lightsabers” :grin::grin::grin:

11 Likes

I would put someone’s eye out with one of these…

5 Likes

Haha yes you could very very easily do that. I have speical glasses that make them safe for me and others watching. Usually let the camera look for us then we look at the camera after. However outside in the night sky these beams go forever it looks like. (Just avoid airplanes at all cost or its $250,000 fine and jail time lol)

Old build, MHS parts, 3d-printed chassis, Crystal Focus 6.1, 3W LED x3, 2W speaker.

5 Likes

We need to put a real laser in there now :joy:

1 Like

Real lightsabers? The term strikes me as problematic just on the face of it. I mean, among other things, if the power source isn’t a kyber crystal then it isn’t a “real lightsaber” at all, now is it. :thinking:

2 Likes

I meant a saber based off photons which is what the kyber crystal produces in reality terms. A lightsaber being Simply being a blade made of light particles aka photons! Now the part thats impossible is making them solid so they can clash against one another and the other problem is you cant stop the beam and they go for miles :rofl:

Also was going by that famous youtuber hacksmith who claimed build the first actual light saber. When all he actually did was modify the handle of a glass blowing torch and attached it to a backpack gas/oxygen tank. Noting that actually had to do with light lol

1 Like

maybe watch real genius a few more times and you will crack the code for solid state lasers. lol.

2 Likes

Pack em in ice!

2 Likes

Solid state ruby powered lasers are actually a thing as of recently, seems the code is getting close to being cracked :grin: my fav youtuber styropyro built one in his garage :joy:

Yeah; there are a few practical issues to work out… The other one is making the laser visible. Without a foggy, or dusty room; lasers are invisible in a vacuum unless shined directly in your eyes.
Just about everything a light saber does is not supported by current physics.

1 Like

Sure but we dont live in a vacuum lol

Theres no fog or lots of dust in that picture either. I can promise you. Youll see 8500mW of pure 445nm light in any condition ive found naturally. Lol

My point is that laser light does not “glow” like a light saber does. Light is not visible unless it interacts with something else.

Sure, in a hypothetical vacuum. I’m saying for the planet we live on they glow like a light saber though :wink:

I’ve always wanted to build a laser like that. But I’m dangerous enough with woodworking tools. You don’t want me touching solder and batteries.

1 Like

I’ve built some flashlights before, but nothing like this! That’s intense, I know how fun it is playing with a super powerful throw light on a dark night, I imagine this is 10x better :laughing:

Just curious, are these running off 18650s, 26650s, something else entirely?

1 Like

These babies are running 1x or 2x 18650 depending on what model. Later this year we should talk laser for string trades :sweat_smile: id say now but i just placed a fat order anyway @BadWolfeCo

1 Like