Raider Mod questions

When I got my Unleashed, I maybe adjusted it 5-8 times and I never moved it a 1/4 turn with all my adjustments. Move a tiny bit, try, repeat as necessary.

When I was looping with the Raiders under a quarter turn they would almost fall apart. when I got to a quarter they held and one looped really well. the other broke. I got the first one to work again but the other is straight broke I have a pair of unleashed also they are pretty good too. I had a problem with them falling apart (even when fully tightened) Yoshi from YYJ told me to put a little glue on the inside threads and it works again just like new.

I’m getting confused. What exactly is the problem here?

Cranking the axles would indicate to me you’re trying to tighten things up. There’s no need to let the plastic relax. If you’re cranking that hard where it becomes a concern, you’ve got to be doing something wrong already.

I loosen up my Unleashed yoyos until they do sleep. That’s it. I don’t need massive sleep times, I just want to make sure they CAN if I want them to. I start with “fully tightened up” by hand, but I’m not putting excessive pressure on them. Tiny adjustments to loosen, throw, adjust, throw… repeat until I get them to sleep. Maybe a degree or two at most.

What is the end goal?

Studio, stock raiders loop terribly. Modding them involves sanding the spacers to thin them down and then cranking them to close the gap.

Thanks for the heads up. But, I must disagree. My kid’s stock Raider loops quite nicely. Maybe they’ve done some improvement on fairly recent releases. I got it for him a while ago, but it was earlier this year. It ain’t the greatest, I’ll admit to that, but it ain’t bad either.

Frankly I’ve always been puzzled by that. Why not just sand the spacers down a few thousandths more until they actually work right? Why the need to “crank” them at all. If the reason for “cranking” is that when the spacers are thinned, the axle is too long, why not cut the axle to fit instead of 'cranking" to push it through the shell (which has been inferred as the reason for cranking)?

Yes, stock raiders need a little help. Duncan pads do wonders for them. (Personal preference of a self proclaimed hack of course.)

…because successfully cranking Raiders makes you a l33t modder. :stuck_out_tongue:

Honestly though, I have no idea. It would seem safer to sand the spacers and buy a shorter axle.

jhb, what you suggested would work, but you’d only get one shot at getting it perfect, and there isn’t a single “perfect” when it comes to what people want for looping. Cranking gives some degree of customizability for the discerning looper.

Not to mention changing them out for plastic ones ._.

Yes, I know that is the reasoning. On the other hand, how does cranking make the gap smaller yet as the spacers are not compressible. You can only tighten it so far before the spacers stop you from going further.

[quote=“jhb8426,post:30,topic:37571”]
I guess I’ve always assumed that the Raider and plastic spacers were contorting a bit, but I don’t know that to be the case. What I do know is that cranking does decrease the gap size some and allows for some adjustability. If someone knows what’s actually happening with the plastic, please do tell.