Question about YYJ Trinity

Let me start by saying that Im fairly new to yoyos. I’ve been going thru the learning sections on here step by step, and I’ve recently moved up to advanced. I started off with a Custom YoYo “The Axl” and then went to a Protostar and now I’ve acquired a Primo and the Trinity and Dark Magic 2.

When I got the Trinity the axle was bottoming out and I contacted yoyoexpert and we tried a few things but I sent it back to them and they fixed it and sent it back. During shipping one of the silione pads fell off, and they put a new one on for me and sent me a spare too! The new pad seems to stick out real far compared to the original… I just received the yoyo yesterday and was excited to get to try it out finally! So I got on here and watched the Plastic Whip vid and was trying it out and within a few throws I was catching the yoyo but instantly it would return and smash into my hand! I wondered if I was doing it wrong so I tried it with my Protostar and Primo and it seemed just fine.

So then I went back to the trinity. After messing around with a little bit, I realized that I could throw a regular sleeper, give it a tug, and it would return quicker and easier than my Axl or even the DM2 with the responsive bearing in!

I’ve got some RVT High Temp Red silicone from when I put test pipes on my Z, and I was wondering if I should try removing the silicone pads and using this instead?
I dont like wasting things so I dont really want to get rid of those pads cuz theyre brand new! So before I take them off and throw them away, I’d see if anybody could help me out?

Feel free to ask any questions you want, and thanks for reading!

I only use Red RTV High Temp Silicone from Permatex. IT works great and lasts a good amount of time, much longer than Clear Flowable Windshield Silicone. I say go for it, just make sure you keep it clean and out of the bearing seat. You shouldn’t have to let it cure for more than 4-5 hours before you can play with it, though many here would argue that you HAVE to let it cure for 24 hours, BS in my opinion but hey, ymmv.

Hows the best way to get it flush with the sides of the yoyo? Should I use a putty knife or something?

Use a penny.

I’ll go grab some sandpaper and give it a try, thanks

I didn’t say anything about sand paper.

What IS the sandpaper for? :stuck_out_tongue: I use an old gift card to make it smooth. If you are attempting to give a minor recess then try using a baby spoon though.

I tried to remove some of the anodizing from the below the pads just to make sure the silicone got a good grip, but it was so narrow that I just said screw it.
I guess the cap on my silicone had split and most of it was dried out, but I cut the bottom out of it and made an ungodly mess. It turned out a little lumpy but if it doesnt work i’ll try some of the other silicone I have laying around. I’ll update more tomorrow…

Just a tip for applying silicone:
My dad is a vet so he always has tons of syringes around so what I did what fill one of those up with silicone and used it to apply the silicone. The tip of the syringe is the exact same width as a silicone pad so it works perfectly as opposed to the applier that comes with the silicone that is just slightly wider. There are even little caps that you can put on syringes so the silicone won’t dry out. So if you can get your hands on a syringe they work great.

1 Like

I use the applicator that comes with the tube, I just cut it to the porper size and when I am done I take a screw or a nail and jam it in the nozzle, keeps it from curing inside of the nozzle. The other option you have is to invest in some cheap q-tips and clean the nozzle after use.

with clean 100% silicone which is what I suggest, you use. all you have to do is take the tip off the tube, put the top back on the tube.
take the tip and put it on a paper towl. standing up. all the silicone will just fall out. move it every few minutes so it doesn’t get glued to the paper towl. No cleaning nessisary.
I don’t know about gasket maker.

Gasket maker stays pretty well stuck in the nozzle so I just don’t use it. I take the cap off, put a glob on a guitar pick (my spreader of choice), fill the groove and smooth it out, and then I just put the cap back on the tube of silicone.

Sry it took a few days to get back on…
But I tried using a penny and it seemed to work pretty good. The yoyo still seemed too responsive, so I switched the YYJ bearing with a spare YYF bearing I had and that helped even more.
Its still more responsive than my DM2 and Primo, which sucks but oh well.
Btw, Im gonna have to try that syringe idea! I’ve got a couple laying around from the dogs and whatever.
Im also going to experiment with more types of silicone. I work construction, so I always find tubes of silicone caulk and whatnot lying around. I’ll let you know if I find anything better than the Permatex, which seems to work just fine.
Thanks for all the fast replies, and if anybody else has a trinity, let me know what you think of it. In my opinion, its kind of a disappointment.

just let the pad break in. itll be super responsive for a while but just play with it for a while

im having the same problem. my TRINITY HAS A REPONSE HELP !!!

This, though I wouldn’t say super. The RTV will need to be worn down a bit, to be honest all I do when I put a fresh set of RTV in is practice sleepers and breakaways, just that, those and bind, rinse and repeat, for about 15-20 minutes, by then the pad should have worn in a bit, warmed up and be fine for normal unresponsive play. If not something went wrong.