Question about my Bloodcell Run

Can’t do that. I only have panels of SpectraPly.

I’ve decided that I really dislike Spectra, and will probably won’t purchase it again.

3 Likes

All of my Spectras play rather poorly compared with wood counterparts. Imo they are gorgeous showpieces, but as players I think they lack. This includes my TMBRs as well as the ones from Spinworthy. I thought the Bloodcell was an exception until I got one in beech.

I must have missed this thread and want to comment. I think that you should absolutely scale designs to fit the wood. Instead of a ‘one size fits all’ design, this implies design strategy to maximize the properties of the wood to complement the design. I am eager to see how something like this turns out. A strong yes from me.

4 Likes

I’m probably going to put a can that Idea. The scaling up lighter woods is OK, but I’m finding the lighter woods produce yoyos that are too vibey.

Also, downscaling heavier woods results in a weird yoyo I discovered. It performs OK, but feels off somehow.

I think I’ll stick with maple, white oak, zebrawood and possibly purpleheart too.

2 Likes

I made a Bloodcell out of oregon today. It’s 33g. It plays surprisingly well and is pretty smooth.

6 Likes

When are you gonna make one out of Balsa wood already!

3 Likes

Haha. I’m not sure balsa would even turn properly. The tearout would be massive.

A balsa Bloodcell would weigh about 10g. :rofl:

2 Likes

It just needs to be Huge! Or maybe do a bi-wood glue up with Balsa on the inside and Ironwood on the outside. Can you imagine the rim weight!

5 Likes

BiWood yeah u just created a whole new market! Love it!

6 Likes

MonoWood!

3 Likes

Some of the Orphans that Jensen turned are bi-wood I believe.

2 Likes

Oh well seams I need to learn more about wooden yoyos

Cj Atkinson has an amazing TMBR purple heart and white oak Inlay bi-wood;

5 Likes

I’m glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t like spectra. I want to like it so much but it doesn’t have the same feel to me.

4 Likes

I threw around that 33g oregon bloodcell I made for a bit, and very unexpectedly, it’s spin time is exactly that same as any other Bloodcell in the 40-50g weight range. Really.

I guess the lighter it is, the less friction there is between the string and the axle. There would be a cutoff point of where the yoyo would be too light to produce sufficient spin despite less string /axle friction, but 33g is not that weight.

I’ll make one… As long as you buy it! Lol

I can easily buy balsa at my local hardware store.

1 Like

One day, I will make an inlay yoyo. I haven’t bothered, because it’s not a look I like very much.

If I did it, I would inlay my ‘SW’.

2 Likes

That’s tri-wood, by the way. The axle is walnut.

I guess every yoyo from me and many from TMBR are biwood. All of my axles are Tasmanian Oak and the body is a a different wood.

2 Likes