Question about dying Delrin multiple colors

Hi community!

So I’ve watched the videos about using Rit DyeMore and hot water, and using Elmer’s glue to mask. I have a question about more complicated jobs I’m hoping someone can help with:

Let’s say I have a bright purple and a bright yellow dye and I want to make a starfield with bright yellow stars on purple. I get that I could use Elmer’s to draw stars and then dye the whole thing purple so I would have a nice purple background with white stars.

To make those stars yellow, it seems if I just dip the whole thing in yellow it would also affect the purple parts leaving me with yellow stars and a brownish background (purple and yellow mix).

Would I actually use glue to paint the entire purple surface after that first bath in purple? Like a reverse-mask? Then dye in yellow so hopefully only the exposed stars get that color?

That’s the only way I can figure out how to do it without getting a mix of color on the spots that got dunked twice. I hear a darker color can be used over a lighter, but I would think there would still be color impact.

Anyone know the process for sure? Is it a double mask? Also any other rad dye jobs you can do with delrin? I’ve seen some rad fades!

Tips and tricks appreciated!

1 Like

In aluminum anodizing you can bleach(?) away color before sealing, but I’m not sure if there’s an equivalent when dying delrin/POM. If so, that’d be the way to do it - full yellow, mask the stars, bleach away the extra yellow, then dye it purple.

1 Like