Problem with unresponsive yo-yo - now responsive

Newbie here. My son has his first unresponsive yo-yo - an Atomsmasher. Had it 3 days and has been really enjoying it.
This evening it started unpredictably responding - sometimes when the string is slack (eg bouncing off the bottom) and sometimes when it is just sitting there at the bottom and he gives it a little flick. This is annoying and has whacked him a few times!
Spinning the bearing when the yo-yo is apart it spins for about 5-7 seconds and it isn’t loud.
We have read the forum entries about cleaning the bearing but should this happen after just 2 days?

Do you think our best next step is cleaning it?

We’re happy to give it a go but would love your expert guidance on a link to a good video on how to do it. Also the best lube type to buy.

Sometimes yoyo bearings become responsive faster than other yoyo’s.

The bearing on my Shutter is still unresponsive even though I have been using it for a long time, but the bearing on my Edge FS started becoming responsive the second I received it.

If the bearing is becoming responsive sometimes you can use some yoyo lube and keep using the bearing till it breaks in, but the best thing to do may be to clean it.

1 Like

Thank you so much. Bearing washed in lighter fluid and smooth as silk. I’ve bought some thin lube and a spare bearing so if it happens again we can switch out and clean at leisure!
It’s a learning journey for him, as he’s 10yo and a little impatient!