Price inflation?

Hey! Get @FewandFarBetween’s name out your mouth! They make great throws and definitely don’t resell for a profit. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Yes! And it’s called the C3 CyberCrash… :wink:

1 Like

yeah i think its insane that the fyfo cost that much. i get that its a one drop machined throw but its still a mono metal that isnt very unique in design. like yeah you could get into the costs of shipping and packaging and all that to justify the fyfo being that pricy but at the end of the day its just a basic mono metal and all youre paying for is the “made in US”

2 Likes

When you buy something made in the USA, you are essentially paying to support the (overall) higher standard of living in the U.S. (i.e., higher labor costs). For Americans who can afford it, that support is something they take a bit of pride in. For those who can’t, “Made in the USA” is merely synonymous with “overpriced”. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

That not always true. One Drop is quit competitive. The fact that most of the work is done in-house doesn’t hurt.

4 Likes

Chinese yoyo manufacturing has largely caught up to US manufacturing at this point. You can get 90+% of the quality for 1/3rd the price. It’s why One Drop refuses to make a bi-metal. They can’t be price competitive enough to make it worth their while.

3 Likes

Based on the pretty significant difference in quality I’ve experienced working with Chinese import aluminum and domestic aluminum with certifications, I’m going to say there’s a lot more to the quality of the product than just the machining involved…

Im not disagreeing, but for example, press fitting bearings to get smoothness, which inevitably screws over the user when they go to maintain their yoyo, also speaks volumes of the practice.

12 Likes

This 100%. Sure their machining capabilities may have caught up, but an unfortunate reality is that many Chinese metal suppliers are very shady. I work for a global automotive supplier and some Chinese steel suppliers straight up LIE about the quality of their steel. Of course this can cost my company hundreds of thousands of dollars just in delays alone. I’ve heard similar stories of others working with Chinese suppliers.

3 Likes

That is very true. They lie about everything.

Just the other day I took my girl to a Chinese Restaurant. The manager told me Chinese food all the way from start to finish.

I peeked I to the kitchen on the way out and everybody in the kitchen was speaking Spanish!:scream_cat:

We went by the Kitchen store and I bought my girl an entire set of China ware.

We get home and every single piece said made in Mexico on the bottom.

They are Shady fo sho……

I got a Chinese yo-yo the other day in the mail. Looks OK plays OK but I got a problem with it. On the back of the box it says ingredients. How many yo-yos do you have they contain 7% of soluble fiber? And HI fructose corn syrup?

Beware

Chinese yoyo manufacturers have straight up surpassed American for a while at this point. There’s so much evidence for this, dead smooth bimetals, crazy TiSS, the fact that you can get a run of 6061 protos for as much as a Ti yoyo retails for. You can’t even make a bimetal in America. Also I don’t understand how you can say One Drop uses better aluminum with no evidence? I’d even say they use worse aluminum, because they don’t use 7068. Brands such as YoyoFriends are pushing the materials to the limits with stuff like the Hummingbird, accusing them of using shoddy aluminum just isn’t accurate.

5 Likes

Hm. A lot to unpack here. Let’s just agree to disagree. I manage a CNC shop for reference. Material grades mean nothing without certs

8 Likes

Pinnacle of modern machining =/= quality yoyos. I’d argue American machining is still a fair bit ahead of China in terms of pure quality. Though both are behind Japan and Germany.

Not all 7068 aluminum is equal. A couple lbs +/- of a certain alloying element can completely ruin a batch. But whereas an American Al supplier (Alcoa, for example) may scrap/recycle the batch, a Chinese supplier would be more likely to OK it. Not saying all Chinese suppliers do this, and I’m not saying all Chinese yoyo suppliers use lesser quality aluminums, I’m just saying there’s a higher likelihood of it based on everything I’ve seen in my career, what I’ve heard from other engineers in the industry, and what anecdotes I’ve read online.

This doesn’t even touch on the relatively relaxed health and safety standards and lower wages which is WHY Chinese machining is so cost competitive.

6 Likes

The last part about the bearings I really felt in my soul.

3 Likes

Dear god man,

Look what you started ! The powder keg of Chinese machine shops has just been lit again.

in before someone says something straight up racist.

7 Likes

It was getting really close there for a minute lmfao :rofl:

3 Likes

Who’s a racist you kangaroo pimp?

1 Like

This is a very unhelpful comment and adds nothing to the conversation except an attempt to derail it.

Criticism =/= racism. There are legitimate concerns about manufacturing in China (I’m sure you’re more than well aware) and we’re simply discussing the why.

8 Likes

Where’s Helvetica when we need him?

By all means, discuss the why.

Previous efforts here have been quite colorful…. As my comment suggests. If you think you can do a better job of explaining why a person of a different nationality creates and inferior product, id love to hear your take on it :triangular_flag_on_post:

9 Likes