Preserving a raw finish/modding a Dif-e-Yo Wide Load

Using a hand drill, micro-mesh, and a tin of Mother’s Caranuba Cleaner Wax, I’ve got a decent polish going, aside from the rims, on my Dif-e-Yo Wide Load. I know that raw polishes tend to require maintenance, but does anyone have advice for a way to keep it going for a little while?

Frank Difeo has a bottle of Blackfire Crystal Seal (auto paint sealant spray) up for sale on his ebay page, and my dumb brain is telling me that’s gotta be the secret. Let me know I’m wrong.

I’d like to put pads back on it and do some throwing, but it’s kind of a pain to clean up around the pads.

This is a regular Wide Load, by the way, not the -F with recesses for flush-mounted pads.

If we were still in the golden age of mods and customs, what would you do with this? Machine a groove for silicone? Blast? Custom ano?

4 Likes

Here you go.

4 Likes

Also you can still grab pads for this

1 Like

I still have a few lying around here :slight_smile:

They feel like they need an awful lot of string to bind, though. At least that was the case when I was throwing my Menehune and Element X around last month. I had more than a few scary throws where the string slipped out instead of setting the yoyo spinning. I might need to replace the pads or break them back in because I don’t remember them playing that way before. In the meantime I swapped them back to their original bearing sizes (B bearing in the Menehune and “Playa” A bearing in the Element X.)

1 Like

Have you tried cleaning them? Wipe them down with lighter fluid or even a damp cloth.

1 Like