Presenting: "A̴̜͔͋̅PPARITION" a yoyo style

Hi everyone! I’m happy to present to you a style that I hope others will try and create with. I’ve been calling this style “Apparition” as it uses a counterweight and a secondary “ghost” counterweight together to create tricks within. It uses influences from 4A off string, Double Dragon, 5A, and Open Loop tricks to create its own unique breed.

As someone who has been yoyoing for 25 years now and has done all of the major styles, figuring this out has given me a new fresh feeling that has made me excited to throw and I hope it can do the same for you :slight_smile:

69 Likes

Amazing, 0:35 is one of the raddest tricks ever.

7 Likes

Incredibly sick video, love the idea of this style.

I’ve tried to get into double dragon several times but never really been able to fully wrap my head around managing the tension around the bearing with the two string loops. Double dragon with two counterweights was always something I wanted to mess with though, and this seems way more manageable. I’m excited to give this a go, the trick possibilities with a counterweight on both ends is so interesting.

I kind of wonder how a hubstacked yoyo would play with this style, sort of like how hubstacks really opened up a lot of doors for hydra. Getting strong throws with this setup seems like it could be a little weird, hubstack pull starts seem like that might be a decent option for easy strong spins, or to hold the yoyo somewhere off the string while focusing on the movement of both counterweights, maybe like mini poi.

11 Likes

yeah that trick was incredible

1 Like

I’ve said this on a bunch of platforms now but I’m still astonished by this trick.

3 Likes

This is actually super cool, I love how you come with those always fresh ideas.
Some of those tricks are actually great and probably is cause the influence of 5a, did really enjoy the video!

4 Likes

I can’t even imagine how you keep all that straight in your head! Amazing stuff.

3 Likes

Thank y’all!
I might shoot a quick breakdown of the setup for this in case anyone else wants to try :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Mind blown :exploding_head: , Like 1A wasn’t hard enough already, the counterweight offstring flip catch is so insane looking.

6 Likes

Been messing around with grasping some of the basics of this style. For anybody else who wants a point to jump in with, here’s some of the basics I’ve figured out so far. I’m having fun with this, definitely encourage trying this out if you want something new to mess with.

Basic stuff:

The basic string setup for how to throw/bind. You can remove the twists in any way you want, with one hand or two, pinwheels or a hop/recapture would also instantly clear them, but this is an easy way to get started.

A thumb style mount that might be equivalent to a trapeze or something, can do more traditional simple 5A elements easily from this mount

Actual Tricks:

Apparition Barrel Rolls:

Basic Inverted Tower

22 Likes

Heck I’ll give it a shot later! So little confused, it’s two CWs attached to the string and the string is not attached to the yoyo right? I already have some ideas brewing in my head that my skillset will never match lol

5 Likes

Yup! Just put a counterweight on each end of the string and you’re good to go. Then treat these two strings together as a single string and then just hop into an undermount and bind like normal. Longer/thicker string should help.

My 30 minute tricks don’t come close to anything Josh does in his video, but I just gotta practice and experiment more! We all have to start from somewhere. This is definitely a more approachable style than double dragon imo.

14 Likes

I’m so happy to see you take up this style!
And yeah definitely a slightly longer string helps as once the string is doubled up, you’ll want to have enough of it to still bind. Shorter string makes things easier to control but then binds become difficult so for now it seems longer string will have to be the norm.

11 Likes

Thick and longer string got it :ok_hand: I can’t wait get home and try to incorporate some 4a with this, I’m getting ahead of myself but this looks so fun haha. I’m thinking a larger plastic might be a good start, maybe the Big Fun? Larger profile for some 4a attempts, fingerspin hub might get interesting etc etc

4 Likes

I really like this

Thank you

Alright let’s do this :saluting_face:

Update: both the Yeti and Big Fun are not ideal. Probably plastic in general due to too much friction and string in the gap, shoulda known. I’ll be using a beater metal in the yard from now on and go from there lol

11 Likes

hope this becomes an official division in time, this is incredibly impressive and has so much potential

1 Like

6A intensifies

4 Likes

Kinda like a pop shove it but with yoyo string and CWs lol. Couple more things I wanna try, this is a lot of fun once you get used to it

17 Likes