Practicing method?

Smoothness has always been huge for me. So, I learn the trick first on a dead unresponsive yoyo to get the movements and sequence down. Then I swap to a responsive and thinner yoyo to “refine” it. Youll find the spots you dont know well very quickly when you pause to think or jitter around looking for the right position when you get smacked in the hands. Ive been throwing since 1997 (I was 7!) so I had 5-6 years under my belt before unresponsive was a “thing”

If only the kids I teach applied this in their writing, there would be more quality results.

I tend to switch tricks when my frustration level surpasses my fun level.

As mentioned above, I also break tricks down into sub-steps to learn them.

What has also been successful for me…

I organize my tricks into groups. When I’m practicing to make progress I rotate between the 3-4 tricks I’m trying to learn at that time. If I start to burn out a little I’ll throw 3-4 tricks I’ve recently learned (but still need to polish) then I’ll go back to the 3-4 I’m trying to learn at that time. For me it feels like an effective way to make progress without growing frustrated.

Also if you can pair up a difficult trick with a bind or quick-wind technique it helps.

Thanks to horizontal spins taking me several months to learn, I’m great at snap-starting a yoyo :slight_smile:

^ same

We’re not happy until you’re not happy! *<B{Q>

I’ll usually run through most of the tricks I know quickly, then spend the majority of the time focusing on one trick. I also spend more time on tricks I know but don’t land consistently. There’s usually 3-4 tricks that I’ve “learned” in the past couple months but still need practice on for consistency.

I don’t practice really. I do whatever seems fun at the moment.