possible C3 bearing seat solution?

ok so i’ve seen a couple posts lately about C3 yo-yos having tight bearing seats. said tight bearing seats have been causing issues. However, i discovered after trying several different bearings on my ruined Di Base that the Crucial Grooved (the new concaveish one not the old flat one) slipped quite easily over the bearing seat. it could be that the inner diameter of this bearing is just a hair wide enough to resolve the issue. could anyone else with a C3 that has a tight bearing seat and a Crucial Grooved bearing corroborate these findings? also, if anybody could test this on other yo-yos known for having tight bearing seats that’d be the bomb ;D

1 Like

I put on a crucial grooved bearing on my Yeah3. It proved to be a tight fit, but not as tight as my 10 ball bearing. Of the 3 bearings I have tested, the stock stainless steel bearing was the easiest to put on and take off. The crucial grooved bearing was still really tight, but not as tight as the 10 ball.
I think the reason as to why your crucial grooved bearing fit on loosely was probably because you tried to fit so many bearings on the bearing seat. I remember reading somewhere on the forums that if you keep putting on bearings over the bearing seat, the bearing seat slowly “sands” itself, which I guess would make the bearing seat become loose with time.
Essentially, the crucial grooved bearing was still very tight, but I think the seat will become looser if you keep using it.

The inner and outer races vary from one bearing to another even from the same manufacturer.
These differences decrease as the ABEC rating increases - 0 (no ABEC rating) 1,3,5,7 and so.
The tolerances are checked and sorted after the manufacturing of the bearings.
Very few yoyo bearings are rated.

When one type of bearing fits and another type doesn’t it could be just the one you happen to have.

I could see that. I was doing some bearing swap outs recently in a yoyo to see if it was the bearing that was the issue, plus just to play around. I have a konkave I put in but it was tight on the OUTSIDE edge and therefore wouldn’t spin inside the yoyo. I put in a Terrapin X S/C and no problem. I went with another Konkave and it fit a little bit better than the other konkave. I tried a few other flat bearings and they fit OK.

I ended up going with a different bearing than what I started. The Terrapin X S/C I’m saving for something I throw more regularly.

I’m going to say that the bearing seat in my C3 Halo is a disaster. I’ve been trying to sand it down, etc…the center-trac bearing that the Halo came with doesn’t actually fit flush with one of the halves and it’s impossible. With the stock center-trac it is vibey, wobbley, and a complete POS. I know it’s Delrin and it’s not going to necessarily throw or play as smoothly as an aluminum, but honestly the seat is a problem. I swapped out the bearing and was using a stock CLYW bearing, it actually fits better. After you asked I put a Crucial grooved bearing in and it is the loosest fit. Actually does give the best throw. After all my swapping/sanding, the center-trac is still a nightmare. Running my Halo with CLYW bearing. Smoothest/tightest fit/least vibe with Crucial grooved.

Anyway, my point is I agree completely with your findings.

sweet, so what i’m going to do when i get my next paycheck is order three or more grooved bearings and test them on yo-yos that are known to have tight bearing seats (i have a friend with an overdrive and there are a few C3s amongst our stuff). and post my findings here.