Popping Butterfly XT caps off

Does anyone have any tips for popping off the side caps of Butterfly XTs? They seem glued in, but I’m sure that’s not the case. I’d like to remove them without breaking the yoyo.

1 Like

Depends, do you want the caps to be functional when you are done? If not, I say cut them. If you do, you should be able to pry them up off the throw.

I want to keep them because I want to swap them.

1 Like

Then prying them off with a knife or something should work. I did it once, but did not like the feel of the XT without them so I put them back.

1 Like

Haven’t tried on an xt, but on most plastic side caps, if you can find a decent suction cup about an inch wide, it will usually allow you to quickly pop the cap off and it doesn’t hurt them. Also it keeps you from pushing a knife into your hand in the event you may be accident prone.

You can remove the caps by pressing the axle down onto a hard surface. Nothing is glued in so the axle should push the cap right out.

1 Like

That’s what I’ve been trying to do, to no avail. Putting all my weight on pushing down on the yoyo body too…

…maybe I’m just not heavy enough… :stuck_out_tongue:

it worked for me, although I did leave an axle imprint on one of the more stubborn caps. I guess some are easier to get out than others.

I’m really starting to think that the caps are glued on the latest run of XTs.

Assuming the caps are not glued on, what about the old stick-it-in-the-freezer trick? Would that work on a plastic yoyo?

probably not, chilling things is trying to take advantage of different thermal expansion

Hey @zslane did you ever get the caps off? I got a second one to do a cap swap and the new ones are super stuck on there.

Yes, I did. With enough force I was able to pop them off. I suspect that the air pump trick would have worked better though.

1 Like

I’ll have to try harder I guess. I was afraid I’d shove the axel right through the cap. Maybe I’ll see if I have a suction cup or something to pull it off with.

In case anyone looks this topic up in the future, like I did, I managed to pop them off using brute force.

1 Like