PLEASE watch this video. It’s really good

Just ran across this video of Brandon, someone posted it on the forums.
This is something that I’ve noticed for years. If you’re just starting out, it makes sense that your breakaway would be awkward. But I’ve seen a lot of people that I know have been throwing for years that still throw the first way.
And I get it. Most of these people are adults with careers and such. Trust me, I know that when you have a job, that you can’t afford to spend much time throwing.

BUT, if you’re tight on time, and want some low hanging fruit to improve the function (and looks, if you care about that) of your throwing, I’d say watch this video 4 times.

14 Likes

Just watched this a few days ago. My wife prefers his teaching style

3 Likes

This might be a slightly tangental post, but is this another good example of why starting on responsives (and continuing to play with responsives) will force you to have better habits? I know a couple GOAT players preach that pretty often.

I can’t imagine trying to throw a breakaway on a fixie or transaxle with the first method and getting any decent amount of spin time out of that throw. Seems like keeping plane to not hit your starburst or response would also be super hard with the first method. But if you’re starting on an unresponsive there’s just so much spin time and leeway with plane keeping that you can just do whatever and it’ll probably be fine.

5 Likes

This is one of the videos that made me a fan. Always got love for the Vu.

3 Likes

I’ve been throwing the way you aren’t supposed to since 2006 :eyes: and I keep my slipknot behind the 2nd knuckle. :scream:

I get smooth throws on plane every time, but I learned how to effectively throw that way by using both throwing methods combined. When I first started I had issues with my FH2 landing crooked and lopsided. If you don’t learn how to compensate by adjusting the angle of your throw you’re going to have major problems.

-Rad

3 Likes

Brandon’s the man

5 Likes

Tru.

2 Likes

I think the way you throw is pretty subjective. As long as its dead straight (most of the time), it doesn’t matter much if your throw the first way or “like a pro”. I mean the pro-st of all pros is the defending world champ (imo), and he throws like that first example.

2 Likes

Yes and no. Of course everyone will have their own style and such, but I have never seen a trick video that demonstrates a great deal of skill that starts with someone throwing the first way. I doubt such a video exists, but even if it does, but it is definitely the minority.

You mentioned Gentry Stein. Yes, he throws a slight variation on the first one when he’s on stage, but that’s because he wants MAXIMUM power from each of his throws. Look how hard he’s throwing.
I’ve been to the Chico yoyo club several times, and have gotten to meet him there. When he’s not on stage he throws the second way 100% of the time.

Which makes sense. I have a hard time imagining anyone who’s thrown a yoyo hundreds of thousands of times not having nearly perfect economy of motion on a basic throw after decades of practice.

3 Likes

I always enjoy reading your posts. This had made me reconsider what I said. I do remember seeing clips of Gentry throw down a very nonchalant breakway in that second variation. I think everyone should at least learn the second variation of the classic breakway.

1 Like

The first way just looks so awkward

1 Like