Planing a series of yoyo courses, looking for feedback

Hello!

I’m building a yoyo curriculum and would really like feedback, specifically in regard to things like types of trick element or starting mount I’ve missed.

I’ve been teaching yoyo tricks on YouTube for years. I’ve got something like 400 tricks on there. Couple that with the thousands taught by others, it’s got to be confusing for a new yoyoer. I’ve been doing zoom yoyo lessons with a kid and it’s pointed me to a need for an easy to follow course that teaches yoyo, not just trick by trick. Funnily enough, this has been inspired by learning chess of all things.

I figure it’s time to put my teaching degree and 15 years in the classroom to work solving this. I wrote my full plan up in a blog post, and I’d really appreciate anyone taking the time to go through and let me know what I missed. Feel free to pop back here and comment so others can discuss your proposed changes.

Click here for the full breakdown

The Plan

1. A free beginner course where I teach the basics like I do to my students. Broken down to include all the little details that make it easier. Practice and drills.

2. An intermediate course that’s available for a fee or patreon subscription, or free with a month’s private lessons

3. Advanced courses revolving around a specific start mount (like a chess opening strategy).

9 Likes

Perhaps instead of only full videos to follow along, have some pictures of the starting techniques/tricks from start to finish as an alternative option for a student to follow. Sort of a bit like following a stop motion guide.

2 Likes

This is a really cool idea! I think the paid portions may appeal more to competitors rather than casuals like myself, but could be a fun and effective way for someone wanting to grow as a player.

I started a list of basic mounts and elements on here to use as reference for these types of situations. If there’s anything you forgot to include, it might be on there.

1 Like

I’ll look this over…see what I can contribute. It seems to be very promising!

This is great, thank you! I’ll update my post to include them.

1 Like

Good idea. I’d planned to include stills and super-slow motion where necessary, but quick visual references are a good idea as well

I think my favorites without overcomplicating my answer, are elements which can be absorbed into combos.

"5. Transitions - talk about better ways to go from one combo to the next, using different elements to transition. Talk about competition scoring and maximizing points with varied transitions. "

Since I am not a beginner, further discussion on how to experiment and use mounts in new ways would be interesting. In any event, the curriculum is impressive.

1 Like

That’s the plan, to make the Mount-based course much more in-depth and about how to be creative within the mount.

I did a few videos on this theme a while back

2 Likes

I’ll be curious to see if your thoughts on the paid courses turn out correct. I’m considering chess. I’ve purchased a couple paid courses. The content in them can be cobbled together on Youtube, much of it from the creator of the course, but the idea of it being presented systematically and all in one place appealed and the price was right. I’m figuring there’s a market for people looking for the same in yoyo. But we shall see! If nothing else it’ll end up being a good add-on if I start doing more private lessons, or something to include with a yoyo or book.

3 Likes