PhD Project: Looking for people aged 11-17 for a casual interview

Hey everyone!

A friend of mine, Lexi, is completing her Ph.D. and getting her doctorate. Her final project is on how teenagers experience mental health problems, including how others treat them and how that impacts their recovery. She is looking to chat with anyone between 11-17 years old who either self-identifies as having a mental health problem or has been diagnosed with one by a doctor. She will ask some very basic questions about your experiences, and it should be more like a casual conversation. You can drop out of the study at any time if you decide not to continue. Everything you say will remain completely confidential and will never be released to the public. Your discussion with her can be done via Discord, Zoom, or whatever you prefer, and it can either be with a microphone through voice or through typing.

Lexi has to get parental permission from your parents before you can participate in her study. She does not have to speak directly to your parents, but she does have to e-mail them a form that they can virtually sign and send back to her.

Participants will receive a $25 visa gift card.

Please post or message me with any questions if you are willing to participate and help her out!
I reached out to Andre before posting this and got his approval.

Thanks everyone!

-KC

11 Likes

Bumpin.

Bumping.

I used to work for a research university writing compliance software. Is this study vetted by an independent-review board (IRB)? It is important that the study and its methods be reviewed before beginning any research involving humans.

1 Like

Thanks for asking Geezer and appreciate your concern. Here is Lexi’s reply-

“ You can let him know it’s been approved by my university’s IRB. It is being supervised by two professors who are experts on mental health and stigma. I have to follow a really strict protocol in terms of gaining assent + parental consent, maintaining confidentiality, compensating participants for their time, making sure they are comfortable during the interview etc. Definitely following all of the rules, which is a requirement of my program/school.”

Bumping.

4 Likes

If it has been approved by her University’s IRB; people can be assured of both their health and privacy. Good luck with your research.

2 Likes

bump.

1 Like

Bumping this again.

I do not want anyone to hesitate responding due to my original post. My concerns were more than satisfied by KSnow’s response. I want to encourage any that wish; to respond with confidence about their safety; as well as privacy.

Cheers.

3 Likes

Maybe they found enough 11-17 year-olds? :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

I really appreciate the bumps and keeping this up. :slight_smile: thank you.

Lexi didn’t anticipate how hard it would be to find participants prior to starting her study, so she is still actively searching.

Again, thank you @YoyoGeezer for the activity.

2 Likes

Good luck finding participants, but tbh there really aren’t many kids/teens who frequent these forums. You could always try a place like reddit; a high volume community of people with a wide array of interests, should be plenty of kids on there as well.

3 Likes

I appreciate the recommendation!
I’ll definitely consider making a post there too. Thank you.

Bumping.

1 Like