PayPal friends and family(again)

That would have to be through paypal. What was being referred to was paying through paypal via a credit card, then disputing the charges on the card

2 Likes

Yeah I get that. But if that happens, does paypal substract the paid balance from the seller’s account?

1 Like

I guess this is the exemplar of “even the paranoid have people out to get them”, but, I video the packing of the yoyo and sealing the box. If someone wants to claim I sent them an empty box, I’ve got video of me loading the box, the weight of the box, and, the receipt from the post office with the weight. I’m a lazy man. Sure, it isn’t a perfect solution, but, I think it would be an interesting conversation if someone pulled the “you sent me an empty box” or “you sent me a box of rocks” scam.

4 Likes

Yep, unless the transaction is covered under seller protection.

1 Like

I think we’re discounting the weight of seller feedback here. Most (probably all) of the regular sellers here, myself included, have a feedback thread. Sure not everyone leaves feedback but even for a newer seller like myself, I have several pieces of feedback from reputable members of the community. If I ship something out and the buyer claims that the box was empty, they’re gonna have a difficult time arguing that I shipped them an empty box based on my previous seller history, especially if they’re new.

That won’t help with PayPal but I’d leave feedback that might give people pause before transacting with them and maybe even build a case towards getting them banned as a scammer if they pull the same trick with someone else.

IMO given how small the overall yoyo community is, I think that’d be super shortsighted and unsustainable of a scam.

Also, there are steps you can take as a seller to protect yourself. I usually look at the account age and activity of anyone I’m about to buy or sell from at the very least. If it’s a new account or if the account has been inactive until really recently, I stay away.

As @zslane said, there’s always inherent risk as a seller. But it seems pretty minimal esp in this particular community.

3 Likes

Totally agree. I think the real risk of being scammed is quite low but not zero. I’ve done numerous transactions on B/S/T – some with F&F, some with G&S at my behest – and have yet to have a problem. I’ll wager the overwhelming majority of people have not had a single problem either. And that’s a great thing! That said, as in all transactions, “buyer beware” is a solid guiding principle; you need to lookout for yourself first.

For buyers, G&S is a cheap and easy CYA policy which basically grants you overwhelming leverage in the event of a dispute.

For sellers, a buyer can scam you rather easily in a number of ways if they choose to and there’s next to nothing you can do to prevent it. The idea that the Dispute Resolution CSR of Paypal is going to sit and watch your packing videos or look at receipt photos gave me a good laugh though.

For me at least, the main takeaway from this topic is that’s there’s no compelling reason not to use G&S in all transactions. I wouldn’t mind a B/S/T rule that says all prices are assumed G&S, that way buyers and sellers can make exceptions to that assumption where they see fit. Anyway, great discussions so far!

4 Likes

I have a solution. From now on, everyone that makes a CONUS BST transaction, send both items (money and throw or throw and throw) to me. I will inspect and test each throw, then release funds and ship yoyo(s) to final destination.

Warning: Testing process could take several days.

8 Likes

grunt escrow solutions, llc

3 Likes

I volunteer to test the money. For a small fee obvs :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

Isn’t that effectively what PayPal, or any financial institution, is doing here?

2 Likes

I mean, I may be testing the money to see how well it pays for new jos…

1 Like