Parallel by Motion - Taking Smaller YoYos to a new Level!

If they would just get that shipping label made…:crazy_face:

1 Like

Wow! This actually came pretty quick! I’ll post more later, but it’s a fantastic throw on all fronts. I chose Toxicity due to it being a bit more stealth, but I really dig the green and black.

3 Likes

Thanks to everyone who picked one up, I think that’s really what we are trying to relay in that even though the specs look one way, it really is just an all round spectacular YoYo, doesn’t play as you would expect it to.

Seriously it’s appreciated the support your all give our very small brand!

6 Likes

Yeah y’all need to get in on this fade goodness. Certainly makes me appreciate the subtleties of red/orange a lot more. Can’t believe there’s two still left!

7 Likes

Not sure why this thread hasn’t lit up, but I’ve spent some time with the Parallel, so here’s some thoughts:

This will be a theme, but as expected from the only other Motion I own, it’s a fantastically intricate design with beautiful details throughout. There’s a ton of cuts in the cup an catch zone, and they all add up to a very unique and interesting design. Like the Linear before it, it has amazing craftsmanship.

You’d think that might make balancing it difficult (maybe just I do as I equate more complex to more complicated), but it is ridiculously smooth. Finger grinds seemingly can go on indefinitely. They don’t, but wow. I don’t know how they do it. In the “Smoothest Throw” thread, I posted both my Motion Linear and Dressel Emotion. Coincidentally, I learned these two work together on things. Not sure how much, but this is actually one of the reasons I picked up the Parallel—betting on having a glass smooth bimetal, and it did not disappoint.

The other big selling point was the size. This is tied with the Haymaker OG as the smallest throw I have, and both are extremely fun to toss around. I think they hit the mark on making it indistinguishable from a regular sized throw in play until it hits your hand. The lightness adds another element of fun to it as it’ll go as fast as you want without much effort. Just a ton of fun.

Spin time is excellent. I have never run out of gas. It’s a bimetal, and it plays like a bimetal (without any thunk). Super stable, no issues there. Again, it plays very much like a 55–56mm bimetal, just zippier. Binds are solid, too. Sometimes it slips through a Brother Bind, but if you mind your technique, it’s fine. My OG had the same quirk and was fixed with Sochi, but I’m reluctant to put baby blue string on it out of vanity for the moment :laughing:

All in all, it is a fantastic piece and met my expectations. I’ve been far more particular this year, and I’m glad I picked this up. I wish I could get the rest of the lineup as Motion (and Dressel) produce outstanding work, both in form and function. I hope this helps someone on the fence as this really is an exceptional throw.

11 Likes

Thanks for posting your thoughts. I; and I’m sure many others, have been waiting for some thoughts on these bad boys.

1 Like

Yes @hobbygod and I collaborated on Perpetual, Centrifugal, and Kinetic. Patrick helped me understand starting out a YoYo company, helped me to make the connections I needed to get started, and ultimately jump in and take a chance. Patrick is extremely talented and busy doing his own stuff, it was around the time Kinetic was out that @hesperaux (who was already a Motion fan) joined the proto team. One night we were speaking and decided to design our first YoYo together (accelerated) and from that moment on David and Myself have been collaborating on design from accelerated and as long as Motion is going to be in existence.

Not enough can be said though about how much I respect @hobbygod and his “holding my hand” approach to get Motion off the ground. Forever thankful for that

8 Likes

So I will now add my experience with the Parallel. It’s awful…AWFUL DARN GOOD!! I will ramble here for quite sometime now in order to paint a proper picture for you. I had never seen or imagined an unresponsive yo-yo prior to the beginning of 2023. And in the approximate year since then, I’ve made meager progress with unresponsive throwing. For comparison sake, my other throws are Top Deck, Yoshicuda, Mini Star 2, Typo, and Haymaker OG. I got the OG around the time that the Parallel came out and it opened up a new and real enjoyment for unresponsive to me. I then got a Yoshicuda which made me feel like that if I had gotten the Yoshi sooner, it would have changed my outlook entirely (see, I had been wanting the Yoshi the whole time but the price was hard to swing). But it was the size of the Haymaker OG that was so appealing to me. It felt like the just right size for my smaller hands. So I had felt like if only I could find something that plays like the Yoshi but comes in this size of the OG…then many voices started crying out in favor of the Parallel by Motion. The price of this also took me some time to be able to swallow, but it eventually happened. And I am in no way disappointed. I will say right up front, this does NOT play like a Yoshicuda. But this is in no way meant to be understood as a negative. Apparently the Yoshi is a unique beast. Not a big deal because as it turns out…not playing like the Yoshi isn’t such a bad thing… I still got what I was REALLY looking for. And that was a more nimble feeling but still incredibly powerful throw that feels as “right” as the Haymaker OG did. Now the shapes are different and they don’t “feel” the same, but the Goldilocks size for me was right, and the feel is not bad at all. It’s not smooth and round like an organic…no, but it’s also not sharp and pokey like some performers can be. To me anyways. It feels sporty and quick. More so than I can go. The spin time is incredible and smooth and the binds out of the box are just slightly less than snappy. I don’t feel a need to change the response at all in this, but I like tight binds. It does not feel heavy on the string at all…I mean…it’s approximately 56gr. So this lighter weight, to me makes it easier for me to sling it off axis or into a tilt. But it also revealed to me the flaw in my technique that was causing this and I can continue to fine tune my technique as a result. So I don’t count this as a negative either, just a characteristic of lighter throws in general. I don’t mean to imply that it’s hard to control, quite the contrary. It feels super nimble , but it still provides ample feedback without feeling like a rock on the end of the string.
I am hardly an impressive thrower to any but the uninitiated, so I can’t give my impressions during a speed combo or any such thing, but I feel confident in saying that if you have those skills, you are really going to be able to zing this around and have tremendous fun doing it. These are selling out fast, and who knows if there will ever be more, we all know how this industry can be. So if the size or the idea of the Parallel appeals to you, I feel confident in saying that, even if it isn’t exactly what you were imagining, you will still in no way be disappointed with what it is. Unless of course you were wanting a rock on the end of your string. Thanks @JEA86 for this beauty. I will cherish it always.

5 Likes

Such a good throw

5 Likes

Motion is quickly becoming the ‘American Yoyorecreation’. By this compliment I mean that Motion consistently puts out different high-performing and high-quality yo-yo’s. I have found all of their offerings delightful and look forward to their next.

They have become a ‘must-buy’ company for me.

9 Likes

I will add also that in my limited interactions with @JEA86 he has been incredibly friendly and approachable. Another pleasant surprise in this community. Company owners who actually have the time of day for, and a genuine interest in their customers. Motion will certainly not get a negative report from me. :grin::+1:

3 Likes

I appreciate everyone’s comments in here - thanks and just know we are trying hard to keep each release really special and present a great value to the buyer. Thanks everyone for the support it means a lot!

6 Likes

Definitely a great yoyo. I tried one out back in January and it was awesome. I love undersized yoyos and I’ve played a bunch including the Yoshicuda and I honestly felt the Parallel was one of the best playing I’ve tried so far.

2 Likes

I want to clarify something. I spoke of pricing a bit in my review. I want it to be known that in no way am I saying that this throw isn’t worth every penny. It is!! I am just on a very fixed income so every dollar I spend has to be closely monitored. If money were less difficult to come by, I would buy a second. :smiley:
This has everything to do with me and nothing to do with the price point. :wink::+1:

3 Likes

Rather than change the response you should consider a thicker string. Not every Yoyo will play well with the same string. It’s actually quite the opposite. I let the Yoyo choose the string. And sometimes with d bearings even tho your usually dealing with an undersized throw you’ll actually need a slightly thicker string cuz those d bearing are actually wider then a full c bearing. This is completely dependent on the throw and is in no way a blanket statement. Just saying, throw a slightly thicker string on there and see if it doesn’t change the whole experience. If u like snappy binds throw on any string of the FAT type and you’ll be in bind heaven

2 Likes

I love the way it binds. It’s just right. It binds tight but not too aggressive. That’s more the way I meant to describe it. You are absolutely right on different strings. Not only thickness but composition as well. I have been loving Skyline for unresponsive, but there are a few throws I’ve gotten that were just way too slippy no matter the string, on this sort I’ll try different pads or flow my own. I tinker incessantly so that’s why I said that about not feeling the need to change it. I always have some uncontrollable urge to change things around…:rofl:

2 Likes

Oh okay I got ya now. Yeah I figured you u had to already know what’s up. My bad for comin at u like a newb :sweat_smile:.

Skylines are where it’s at. I love love love experimenting and finding that special setup for each throw. Sometimes it might be a c3 pro fat or maybe even a Slackie depending on the throw. But skylines are basically a cheat code. Any Yoyo u throw those on it’s game over.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl:not even an issue bro.

1 Like