Painting wooden spin tops

Hello,
I got some old wooden tops from my grandfather, and from flea markets. They re all wooden tops which I think are very durable. I never got my hands on a plastic top with bearing . … but these wooden tops, I treasure them! Once , they were part of a living being, a tree!
What I like about them , is That I can you can paint them. So from an old beat-up wooden top, to a gold/silver painted one!
That small top got a long history , but was saved from the old basement of my grandfather’s house. He said he used it back in the old days, not for playing, for fabricating lead! They slammed the top in the lead, with a Hammer. So That 's why it looks so worn. … poor tops. … anyway, it was saved, and I gave it a new life!

The tip was too long , pointy and rusty . removed the old tip, and replaced it with a metal screw.
My uncle filed the new tip (screw), after I put it in the top. I decided to give it a decent New life , so I painted it gold and silver . Varnished it afterwards .
I tried it out, and it is my best wooden top I have !!

20190210_180134|690x388

4 Likes

hello everyone!

today I’ve got a very old spin top from a friend.
it was from her husband once.
full of cracks in the wood, rust tip, and pieces wood falling off.
so, I decided to try at least, to revive it in it’s old (or new) glory. it was coloured in the past.
I sanded it with sandpaper, oiled it with walnut oil, and then painted it. must say, this old wooden top was a piece of dry old wood, so the oil got absorbed VERY quickly! I felt sad for this top, which lied in her house somewhere, unused, and unloved for ages…
after I oiled it, I spray painted it. don’t know what made the color this way. my spray paint was black, but after a bit drying, this color came through. a bit silver-like, with glitters. maybe a chemical reaction of the oil and paint?
also the paint dried very quick. varnished it after it was dry enough.
this is the result!

I’m very happy how it turned out!
this is maybe going to be my favorite spinning top!

3 Likes

I have been painting my spinning tops , which were not yet painted. Also the ones that did not get a good paint- job. One of them losing it’s paint. Coming of in big flakes.
I tried spray paint instead of acrylic paint. For outdoor and indoor.
Tried to make them more personal.

The green one was from my grandfather. He found it in his basement, and gave it to me. This was the top I used to practice boomerang.
I promised my top that I would revive it back to it’s beauty, after I learned boomerang.
It was completely beat-up! I decided to spray paint it green and added the 'tree of life ’ on it.
The other one was from my grandfather too, a smaller one, which I took out the rusty and too big tip. Replaced it with a screw. My uncle filed it , with a machine to make the tip less round. It was sharp side inside, and rounded part out.
It spins very well, but I did not tested out my painted tops. I am very pleased how they came out :slight_smile:

3 Likes