Paint or Anodize Setup?

Hey guys! So I have been doing some different things for fun with my yoyos lately like making String, Painting a metal yoyo with a normal brush and acrylic paint (Yes, I know what you are going to say…I am waiting for it to dry right now too) and I was wondering what kind of supplies or where I could get stuff to paint (like brett) or even better, anodize? I would really like to do it! I am guessing it will cost a lot, but to me it’s worth it! If you could help I will be: :-*

To paint like Brett, you need an airbrush. A quick google search will get you in the right direction. No need to go for anything big though, a small setup will work. Just make sure you get quality paints and learn proper technique. Brett has a video out on youtube on how to paint.

I was searching online for like an hour and realized how hard anodizing is to do so I don’t want to do that. Do you know if just using dye would work? And I want to get an airbrush but I’m not sure what type of paint to use?

You can’t dye metal in the ordinary sense. That’s why they anodize.

Anodizing IS dying metal. You create little bumps and holes. The dye sets in those and you set it by placing in steam or something like that. I looked it up and it’s not that hard, you just have to be carefull with the high voltage and do a couple to practice and get a good method.

I think that’s what I said.

I didn’t read the “in the ordinary sense” part, but yeah.

I’m gonna feel bad for brining it up, but come on man.

It was literally 1/3 of what he said. Just read the whole thing through before you jump to correct someone for the sake of correcting them.

Anywho. If you choose to take up painting, just make sure to be patient and practice good surface prep. Use lots of thin coats!

Check out this site. It’s for auto restoration and it has products for coating stuff i.e. powder coating, paint and lots of other cool things!
www.eastwood.com

Its not like I jump to go OMG HE IS SO WRONG GOTTA CORRECT!!! It was an accident, I read over it. I have poor reading and to speed up your reading you skip words like the and a, sometimes you skip a good amount.

It is quite hard and quite dangerous. Miniscule errors can turn a good yoyo bad.

Airbrushing is the way to go. Honestly, send Brett a PM or a message on FaceBook and he will tell you his trade secrets. He’s pretty decent when it comes to these types of things, and will be happy to get you going.

Anodizing, yes. Vendeta put together a little piece on how to do it awhile back, with all the precautions and such. It’s not something you just do on a whim in the kitchen on a sunny Saturday morning. Between the acid bath and the high voltage you can get into some trouble.

1 Like