Paint in bearing seat

So I’ve had my yoyofactory rainbow horizon for about 3 months now. When I first unscrewed the Yoyo I noticed some blue paint or something in the bearing seat. I assumed this would erode over time but after a while of use I noticed that the bearing was stuck in the bearing seat, it took aaaaageeesss to finally remove it and ended up damaging the bearing.

I’ve now bought a new bearing and upon putting it together I notice that when the Yoyo becomes snug that the bearing doesn’t touch the bearing seat (because of the paint in the seat) I imagine I can force it but i’d rather try and remove the paint.
Does anybody know of any method or chemical I can use to remove the paint without damaging the seat or the Yoyo.

TL:DR
Paint residue in bearing seat, help!

2 Likes

Most likely not paint, but can’t really say what the issue is without looking at it. When a bearing fits that tight I just take some fine sandpaper and gently/evenly sand around the bearing post.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply, I’ve attached an image of the bearing seat in case you can recognise the substance, I shall try sandpaper (very carefully)

4 Likes

I’d just pick at it with a toothpick

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s just masking residue from the anodizing process. It’s like a rubbery material, you should be able to pick it off with a toothpick or pin or something.

5 Likes

It worked! Playing fine now :slight_smile: And it was a lot easier than I care to admit :confused: thank you so much for the help!

5 Likes

Same logic applies to manual flowable silicone that escapes the wells if, like me, your application of flowable is sloppy sometimes.

(Stick with silicone stickers, kids! Way easier!)

A) Nice pun lol
B) These things aint cheap! Flowable is much more affordable. At least 4 silicones per tube means you are at least breaking even compared to pads. :moneybag:

1 Like

I dunno, you can get a bunch of generic slim pads for cheap if you shop around.

2 Likes

Since when is 2 or 3 bucks not cheap? It’s not like you have to replace pads daily, they last a month at the very least.

4 Likes

Four silicones per tube??

You should be getting way more than that out of a tube!

2 Likes

:nerd_face:

1 Like

So why didn’t you just try picking it out in the first place? Nothing magic about it.

1 Like

It’s interesting, I’ve actually never seen this in any yo-yo I own, so it’s news to me…

1 Like

My point was why not try that on your own in the first place. That would be my first instinct.

2 Likes

I definitely should have tried in hindsight. I did try a little at first with the smaller part of the multi tool. But to be honest I was quite hesitant, it didn’t feel like it was coming off, and I was wary about scratching the bearing seat. This is my first Yoyo above £20 so thought I may as well check on here first :slight_smile:

6 Likes

That’s totally understandable.