Out of curiosity....

Might be a silly question but would a SideEffect yoyo equipped with brass side effects be considered a “bi-metal” yoyo since it’s main purpose is as a weight system?

Funny you should ask, I had a similar conversation last week. We decided that technically a yoyo that has 2 different metals as part of the yoyo body (not including bearing or steel axle) is a bi metal by definition. However, in the yoyo world, bi metal implies weight rings to help improve spin time without making the whole yoyo heavy.

My personal feeling is the weight of the brass side effects is noticeable, but, it is hub weight, not rim weight. I’m not sure the brass side effects extend spin at all over the Aluminium side effects on my MarkMont. Classic. However, the yoyo plays more relaxed and slower with the brass.

Interesting, but I consider side effect as an option part, I think bi-metal yoyo is more like to make a single, individual yoyo part using two different metal, and not to be taken apart.

This is a really good question to which I have to say I have no idea. I feel it’s like a yes and no. While there’s 2 medals the side effects can be taken out make it a singe metal yoyo. So yes it’s technically a bi metal but no because the side effects can be taken out where bi metal yoyos dont have that ability.

Aren’t all SEs made of steel or is that wrong?

Either way, I’ve had that thought before as well, but I decided that you might as well call all yoyos a bimetal because the axle is also made of steel and that is what the Side effect is. It’s just a really cool way to put an axle in a yoyo.

Completely wrong… Not even in the ballpark.

i for myself define that:

Oxygene yoyo with titanium core and alu rims is a bimetal

OD with brass/steel/titan side effects are not bimetal

just a subjective definition, not a rational one. have fun

I thought they were 7075 aluminium, but, I don’t remember the source of my thinking that.

SideEffects are either 7075 or brass. I consider BiMetal to mean two metals making up the body of the yoyo. A typical mono-metal will have an aluminum body, a stainless bearing, and an alloy steel axle - I wouldn’t consider that a tri-metal though. We’re working on an Delrin with Ti rings, what the hell do I call that?!?

1 Like

a good time ;D

never felt this way define a oxygene

[quote=“The_Machinist,post:10,topic:80418”]
Bi-Polar?

So… Based on a few theories here; a Nobunaga Hideyoshi would then be considered a Quad-metal?

Because if you count the metal axle, the Hideyoshi contains 4 metals😳

Distorting the ‘general understanding’ of what constitutes a Bi-metal, Tri-metal, etc.; is about as silly as thinking you could put a few pieces of pork between two cow pies and calling it a Ham sandwich🤔

1 Like

I would call that a very cool yoyo!

[quote=“The_Machinist,post:10,topic:80418”]
You could say… It is a plasTIc…

(okay, that was terrible ;D)

that’s called
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s149/creature212/shut_up_and_take_my_money-t2.jpg

Okay so after reading and thinking for a little about this I’m gonna lean more on the side that it would in fact be a bimetal. For one simply because it implements two types of metal in the over all construction of the yoyo body. Brass side effects are way more than just an axle, or an insert pressed into the bearing seat, it’s the entire bearing seat and hub area. And second, the idea of a bimetal is to increase weight but keep the overall mass of the yoyo to a minimum and that’s exactly what a brass side effect would do. MarkMont for example comes with alum and brass eff3cts. Both are the same exact shape and size and design but the denser brass adds much more weight to the yoyo without adding any additional mass. I’m still not convinced that a true “bi metal” ABSOLUTELY has to have the second metal material placed on the rims for it to actually be considered a “bimetal”

Just an fyi, I believe you mean volume, not mass as the brass side effects do add mass (hence why they weigh more).

In my opinion, the side effects don’t make the yoyo bi-metal as the term is meant to reference a certain type of yoyo: those with rims of a different material to the body or a weight ring of a different metal than the body. While the side effect yoyos are technically multi-metal yoyos, they aren’t part of the same category as something like a Masamune or Draupnir and so referring to them as bi-metals, is misleading for no reason other than semantics. If someone asked you for a recommendation for a good bi-metal and you told them to try the One Drop 54, I don’t think they would appreciate it.

Ha yes, stupid me. I did mean volume my mistake friend.