Onedrop reviews & tiers (definitive edition)

If I had to rate every OD model based off how much I enjoy playing them, the VTWO would be near the very bottom of the list.

3 Likes

Ahahahahahah we have all different tastes! Heard very good about it but probably was oriented to different styles of play

1 Like

Pleasantly surprised by this review. While I still might find it too light I’m at least now curious to try one. Thanks for the thorough insight!

Yeah I like the original Valor way more than the VTWO, feels much better on the string and in the hand, the VTWO just spins longer so I would opt in that direction for a pure comp throw even if I enjoy it way less.

1 Like

Agree on the Valor. I’d love a blasted or Cerakote Valor.

I think “fun factor” is an important thing to consider for a competition throw. Who wants to practice for hours on end with something that isn’t as enjoyable just because it spins a bit longer?

@fradiger can we get a review on both the Wizard and the Kamuraiju?

I enjoy reading your opinion on various ODs! Keep it up!

2 Likes

Can do! I am bad at time management though so have a blurb:

I can definitely recommend the wizard, it’s a very well paced throw that is really laid back and chill. It’s also not as punishing as other organics due to the bump in the response area, this means the wall of the yoyo is going to interact with the string less, which you may love or hate. If you really like how stuff like the A-RT grail and other yoyos around that area play, but find them a bit too punishing or not as performant as you’d like, I think the wizard is a great pickup. It’s a bit heavier on the string than those yoyos though, so if you’re exclusively looking for floaty it might not fit the bill entirely. I think the extra string presence gives it a really nice playfeel though, and it makes the yoyo carry its momentum very well when you’re swinging it around. I’d call it a jack of all trades yoyo in the organic ‘space’.

Kamuraiju I’m a bit more on the fence about, but I haven’t thrown it enough to really dive into it. It’s one of those throws that I pick up every few weeks and it’s like, naw I still don’t really love this. Nothing bad for sure, it definitely performs well, but it doesn’t stand out to me. Yet.

4 Likes

I just can’t fathom why they chose to make the Format: C so light.

If they had only made it a healthy 65 or 66g, it would be a new Onedrop performance favourite.

2 Likes

5-10 years ago it seemed most releases were 65 grams or above with some over 70 grams.

Then several years ago the trend was to make everything lighter and lighter. It was a race to the bottom and it seemed most new releases were less than 65 grams and many were less than 60 grams. As I recall, @Glenacius_K complained about this trend often but much of the forum was calling 66-68 gram throws outdated.

Now it’s a race back to the top to make the heaviest, with many releases over 65 grams and some even over 70 grams. It seems what’s old is new again and Spinworthy is setting trends with the Steadfast!

One Drop should just re-run the original Downbeat and people would be rushing to buy. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Yes. A trend I predicted a while back.

5 Likes

It’s really weird how fast this shift happened. I only started throwing in 2021 but when I started people were calling 64g yoyos heavy. If it was 65g or higher people would immediately dismiss it as being unplayably heavy or outdated. The 61-63g range wasn’t light or heavy, that was just the standard yoyo range.

If the Format C: 2 released in 2021 or 2022 I feel like nobody would’ve even thought to comment on the weight, other than saying how fast and zippy it is as purely a positive thing.

Format C: 2 seems like a cool yoyo for what it is, but I feel like new Rev3 and adding a little width would fit the bill way better for being a 2024 competition mono. Even just the Rev2 as is feels a little more competition standard monometal than the Format C: 2.

6 Likes

Am I missing something, coz I dont know many yoyos coming out that are close to 70. Other than tp which has always been heavy.
Most competition yoyos have just grown larger and thus maybe on average their weight grew?

Also when have 61g yoyos been standard even in past years. Id call it closer to ultralight than standard weight.

2 Likes

I think in some ways this is just humanity in some ways, it happened the same stuff with phones if you think about it.

Before phones were big and chunky and people didn’t like them and wanted them smaller, than people get phones as small as possible basically stuff so small that were hard to use than now again phones are quite big or even giant.

I still think 61gr in a yoyo is light and hard in term of control if you want to play in certain ways, even 63gr is still a bit too light, you have also to put the yoyo in the modern trickset of it’s time.
I think for the modern playing and standards around 65/67 gr. is the sweet spot, maybe one day the playing will evolve again and will require 61gr.

I think everything evolve with the use and the needs of the players which also to me make sense, technology evolve with humans

Ayy the best thread on yoyoexpert is back, glad to see it

2 Likes