One Drop Vanguard: A High Speed YoYo Review

What are the first things that come to mind when you read or hear the words “budget yo-yo”? For most it is probably something along the lines of, cheap (maybe in price or quality), safe and straightforward design, outsourced, novelty, maybe even plastic. Now, these are not bad things to have pop in your head… especially that last one. I do love a good plastic yo-yo. One thing that usually does not come to mind is the word innovative. Last time I can remember the word innovative being bantered about when referencing a budget yo-yo was when One Drop came out with the M1. That was when budget metals became a staple in the industry and “budget”, at the time, was a $60 yo-yo. Today, quite a few top tier yo-yos cost that much and you can buy a more modern design budget yo-yo for quite a bit less. Now yo-yo makers are setting their sites on the sub $50 market. At the same time there is a huge shift in nationalism sweeping the industry. The problem is, these two don’t always play nice. Manufacturers like General-Yo and One Drop take a great deal of pride in being American Made, CLYW has recently pulled their machining back to Canada because they wanted their yo-yos to be home grown, and the Japanese market has an ultra loyal fan base who is quick to snatch up much from the Land of the Rising Sun. The big problem is that one of the first things that seems to go when a company wants a true budget yo-yo is the home grown machining. CLYW and YYR both turned to China when they wanted to produce lower cost products. That is where the Vanguard is stepping in. One Drop wants to show that a true “everyday carry” yo-yo can be made “at home” and break that $50 price point. Now the question is, will the yo-yo be good product or will too many compromises need to be made in order to meet the desired price?

Click here to continue reading the review.

What makes you say that? I have not heard anything of the sort. Do you have some sort of evidence of this?

Actually, as you have noted about the recent outsourcing by companies like CLYW to China; quite the opposite. Increasingly, I think consumers only care about quality and value; rather than locality of manufacture.

This was one of the first yoyos I threw after my 16 months of fixed axle play and I’ve been really stoked with it. The big draws for me were that it has a big area for finger spins, the weight and shape look great, and it’s made in the USA, which is something I look for and value in the products I purchase. In fact, since I make a lot of effort not to buy products manufactured in China, you could go so far as to say that I’m even evidence that there is in fact a contingency of people out there for whom the place of manufacture matters. But of course, we all know pure argument bait when we see it. :wink:

I have to disagree, however, with your assessment of the speed. These things are, of course, subjective, and I’m guessing that you’ve played way more of the recent yoyo releases than I have, especially since I’ve been off bearings so long. That said, I don’t find this yoyo to be slow at all, or unable to be played fast. And actually, I was struck by how easily and nimbly it shifts back and forth for bee-sting style 5a tricks. If you want to play this yoyo fast, it has no trouble moving fast. Also, the catch zone is a work of art. Not only does it look wicked, but it feels great for finger grinds. The only thing this yoyo is lacking is an inner ring for grinds, but I’m guessing I’m one of a very few people who do IRG tricks these days, and including this feature would have meant more machine time, which wouldn’t much align with the effort to keep the cost low.

In any event, this is a rad yoyo with a great feel in the hand, a great look, a great feel on the string, and a dynamic weight distribution that makes it stable enough for lots of hops and maneuverable enough for quick adjustments when the yoyo gets off plane. Nicely done OD.

CLYW announcing that they are pulling a big amount of their manufacturing back to Canada because, and I quote “As a Canadian company it has always been kind of weird to not have any production being done here”

YYF marketing their made in the USA and designed in the USA lines.

One Drop always being up front about wanting their yo-yos made in the US

Same for General-Yo

The list goes on. I’m sorry if you are taking offense to such a statement. It almost sounds like you find it offensive that people would take pride in making products in their own country… and showing it is possible to do so while also keeping the price down.

Please feel free to disagree. All constructive opinions are welcome. Our viewpoints are completely subjective as you point out. It is slower than the other yo-yos I have reviewed recently. That being said, it isn’t lethargic by any means, it is just a great chill yo-yo. :slight_smile: