One Drop Overture

People either seem to love the Overture or are underwhelmed by it and sell theirs on the BST without much regret. What are its pros and cons from a play perspective? From its specs it appears to be a heavy-ish organic, but how does it feel in play? Does it feel like a heavy organic?

1 Like

I love mine. I think that’s not an inaccurate description, though it’s perhaps missing something. It definitely feels a touch like a heavy performance monometal to me.

Tbh I’m debating selling my MMC but def keeping my Overture. Blasphemy, I know.

2 Likes

I actually already sold my MMC and kept my Overture.

I was playing the Overture and Grail tonight. The Overture just feels right in my hand and I’m not sure what keeps me coming back to it (maybe it’s the beautiful purple blasted anno?).

The Overture has very interesting weight distribution with more in the center/rim. It is fairly stable (more so than the Grail) with solid spin times. It feels heavier but not heavy. It has a super long axle which makes for very smooth play. The Grail has more center weight and less rim weight which gives it its characteristic float.

The Overture is just a beautifully constructed Organic. I love the way it looks and plays. Mine holds some sentimentality since it was the first modern yoyo that I bought after a nine year hiatus. I will say that I removed the flat bearing and replaced it with a YYR bearing and like it better that way.

4 Likes

@Tvelto describes the Overture as what you might get if a Grail and a Markmont Classic had a child. So basically, something kinda in between the two, at least in terms of where it falls on the chill-to-competition performance spectrum.

1 Like

I wouldn’t put too much into what Throws n brews pumps out. Outside of entertainment.

My .02

The Overture rocks. Nothing like a Grail, isn’t evenly distributed, not really like a MMC / MC either.

It plays like an Overture… you should get one.

Oh and the long axle rocks.

6 Likes

I’d say if you like O shapes, then try one out, if not, then I would spend my money on something else (tons of great throw out there in the $60 price range)

Well, it isn’t the cost that is foremost in my mind. It is the color (blue), and the lack of side effects (I don’t want to have to try and chase down blue side effects). I’m not keen on the Yelets, and so that just leaves the Overture.

I am definitely on team love for the Overture. Doesnt feel too heavy to me. It is just right on the string. Has plenty of spin power and very stable. The ano is so smooth it is very grind friendly. More so than all my other Onedrops. I don’t have any of the other well known Organics that are all the rage, but I definitely find it worthy of any collection. The only down side for me is that I am very tempted to buy a second, which is something I rarely do. (I am cheap)

I havnt thrown my Overture for awhile. This thread inspired me to string 'er up. I have been learning black hops the past few days, still hadn’t hit it. My first try with the Overture I nailed it. I’m not sure if that is helpful, but I was happy so I figured ide share. :grin:

Edit: After bringing it up, I could no longer resist. I have a new snazzy purple incoming.

1 Like

It’s great though!!!

For me, it’s stand out features are low stability to spin time ratio (most Yoyo either have a lot of both, or neither, overture is very controllable, and have good spintime), and it plays the slowest of the Yoyo I have. It’s really really good for trying to smooth out a trick you can land. It lets you know when you are off plane, plays slow, so you can aim, and have decent power so when you miss you just keep practicing.

For me tho, grail just feel nicer, and hits the sweet spot for me better, but sometimes when I want to be really precise and concentrate and play slow, overture is it.

2 Likes

It’s hard for me to imagine how the Yelets plays and I’ve looked but haven’t found any video reviews… Can you elaborate on your experience with/thoughts on it? I find the look of it kind of intriguing but I’ve spent waaay too much lately (I just got my Overture today! :smile:) so I haven’t wanted to gamble on it.

1 Like

It plays like an small H. Very long spinning, stable, and pocket friendly. Perfect edc!

How does overture compare to something like the cabal? For reference im not a fan of my MMC, but love the solidness that the cabal has.

Overture is great. It plays, to me, like a small SUV. It’s got weight, but not too much, and you can fit your kids in it.

3 Likes

Overture is way more ‘solid’ feeling than the MMC. Overture also has that ‘big diameter’ feeling while I’d say the MMC has a ‘wide’ feeling. The lack of a response bump, weight, and pure O shape on the Overture gives it a totally different feel than the MMC. If you like throws like Al Bowl, Hatrick, Icarus, DNA, etc. then you’ll probably like the Overture. Based off the stuff I’ve seen you enjoy on the forum I’d say it’s a must try for you! Shoot me a pm and I’ll send you mine for a test drive if you like!

2 Likes

I appreciate it, but thats not neccessary. Was just curious.

1 Like

Yes! I’ve been trying to figure out how to phrase that exact feeling!

1 Like

At ~58mm I should think so!