Material: Al 6061 Al 7075
Finish: PyramatteTM Bead Blasted
Weight: 66.3 g 64.9 g
Diameter: 55.9 mm 55.9 mm
Width: 45.6 mm 45.6 mm
Gap: 4.32 mm 4.32 mm

[My] OG looks like this:

[My] 5000qv looks like this:

The main three differences between the two are: material, finish and weight. Everything else is virtually the same. (minus a couple of really fine details)

Finish:

These are both smooth finishes.
  • The PyramatteTM finish of the OG is like you can see the grain of the aluminum through the ano. I would say it is a medium softness. Like a happy medium in between glossy and bead blasted. It’s not grippy like a glossy polished finished, but it isn’t *super * smooth either. It is decent for finger grinds, but not the best for them.
  • The bead blast of the 5000qv is smooth as silk. Like, yeah baby! Excellent for finger grinds, and soft in the hand.

Weight:

[Set up with aluminum flat caps] The OG is heavier than the 5000qv by 1.4 grams. You can definitely feel the difference in weight during play too. The 5000qv feels more powerful though. Which is crazy, because the OG feels quite powerful as well.

A little note on weight distribution:

One Drop pushed some of the weight around in the 5000qv, and because of that, it feels a little more maneuverable. The difference isn’t extreme, but after paying some careful attention to each in play, I believe that this is the main difference between the two [as far as playability goes]. The 5000qv has a little bit more rim weight, even with it being lighter than the OG.

Diameter:

They have the same diameter. On a personal note, I like the diameter a lot. I prefer yoyos in the mid-size range.

Width:

They are both the same width. On a personal note, I don’t typically like wide yoyos- they just aren’t my jam. But these are perfect! They don’t play like “tubes”. The flat rims lend themselves well to three things: comfy feel on the catch, snap starts and inner rim grinds.

Gap:

The gaps are both the same. They are on the smaller side, so a medium, to regular thickness string works beautifully with these- fat strings feel a little snaggy. The gap lends itself well to laceration and other more risky style binds. They both regen pretty decently too with a little finesse.

Subtle [Aesthetical] Differences:

The most obvious difference between the two are the grooves highlighting the edge of the rims where they meet the catch zone on the 5000qv.

A more subtle difference is that they have polished about 3/16" of the wall where the catch zone meets the gap on the 5000qv. Pictured here:

And probably the most subtle difference is in the cup. The flat section coming off of the Side Effect hub is slightly wider on the 5000qv than it is on the OG. And the inner rim has more room on the 5000qv as well. Probably has to do with the differences in weight distribution- they were able to trim some material because of the differences in density of the two materials.

Conclusion:

I find it funny, I originally had zero interest in obtaining one of these- I didn’t like the shape or the width. Then one day, I kid you not, one magically appeared in my mailbox. I was initially very touched by the gesture, but then I started playing it… Holy mackerel! One Drop and Sonny totally nailed this concept. This yoyo feels as close to a Countach as a yoyo can feel. Immediately, I understood the hype surrounding this yoyo. It is well deserved! It likes to do whatever the driver is in the mood for. Do you want to play FAST? Do you want to play horizontal? Do you want to play technical? Do you want to do barrel rolls and kwyjibos and boingy boings? Do you want to practice a seamless and chill flow? The Kuntosh says “Say no more, I got you fam”.

And the 5000qv? Everything I had to say about the OG fits here too. The qv just has a liiiiittle more power. They are different enough to justify owning one of each IMO. If you like one, you’re almost certain to like the other as well. The 7075 aluminum gives this pleasing ring during play and especially during extra snappy binds.

The OG feels like an instant classic, and the 5000qv feels like a slightly more refined version of it’s older sibling.

The Kuntosh[es] are down right friendly yoyos in play. Some of my favorites, actually. They are both what I would consider “medium-stable”- not super frustrating and not like your powerhouse competition bi-metals. They have a nice personality and are easy to steer.

I often reach for these when learning new tricks.

I would recommend both of these yoyos to a friend :+1:

End

22 Likes

Excellent review! :clap: I’m certainly hoping OneDrop does another run of the QV soon cc @da5id

4 Likes

B E A - utiful review.

3 Likes

i love my og

2 Likes

Brilliant review. There is something really satisfying about reading a review rather than watching a video review (although I watch countless ones of those!) and I am always interested in reading your thoughts on things.

I’m selling some things on ebay at present, with the funds I will buy an OG Kuntosh :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Woah nice! I think you’ll like it just fine :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Good job man, I was just checking YYE yesterday for a restock on the QV or MC.

1 Like

Thanks man! I love both of those lol

1 Like

I believe I would be into both. Kuntosh cuz, well, HYPE=RIGHT. Definitely the MC. I been throwing a Peak 2 (shout out @gcoomans) daily for a few weeks now and can say I’m all about some organics. I saw a green one here for sale a day or so ago, might just snag it if it’s still available cause YYE been out for quite some time…

2 Likes