On Developing Style with Mark Montgomery

Hi all! I’ve been doing a biweekly yoyo show and podcast on yoyo theory and improvisation called Kill Your Yoyo (Live/recorded on insta @Modern_yoyos, and wherever you get podcasts).

After every show, I expand on a point that I find interesting. This week I interviewed the legendary Mark Montgomery and wrote about what he had to say on the development of style. Check it out at this link.

I recommend you read the whole thing at the link above, but here’s a sneak preview:

“One other benefit of thievery is that by learning a routine that is completely different from your normal Yoyoing reality you are forcing your brain to create new neural pathways. You will train your brain to think in the same way as those you look up to. A routine is not a series of moves but instead, it is the result of a complicated thought process of the yoyoer who created it. The routine encodes that thought process and by learning the routine you are encoding that thought process into your own mind. Allow yourself to not only assimilate a yoyo routine, but a mindset and you’ll be well on your way to developing a unique style.”

Click here to read the rest of the post!

20 Likes

I liked the article very much and it aligns well with how I view many hobbies in general. I think “imitation,” is a better choice of words, but “thievery” grabs the reader’s attention. Also agree about assimilating techniques, as well as attitude. Very true in music too.

3 Likes

@Markmont Beatbox yoyo freestyle was BY FAR one of the most creative yoyo routines in EVER!!!

Like who besides HIM could even pull that off!!!

4 Likes

I partly used that as a reference to the Picasso quote “Good artists copy. Great artists steal.” Also definitely an attention grabber :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Evan Nagao has a video that discusses rhythm from a while ago.

5 Likes

Ehh…great artists innovate and give credit where credit is due :slight_smile:

Yo-yo moves have much in common with “riffs” in music.

1 Like

Of course. That’s covered in the essay. I’m not actually advocating outright theft especially without crediting your inspirations. The quote is about not “copying” as in doing what someone else does and calling it your own. But instead assimilating what someone else does and understanding why they do and then adding to it.

I’m not saying go take gantry’s freestyle to worlds. I’m saying learn gentry’s freestyle, then Hiroyuki’s then Jensen’s and then once you’ve mastered those, make your own. Having learned and assimilated the other ones will make yours better.

3 Likes

We are not in disagreement. Even people who are considered great “innovators” often have only arrived at the conventional by unconventional means. Then again, sometimes someone does something that truly has never been seen or heard before.

2 Likes

I agree that we’re in agreement haha

Could you clarify what you mean by someone arriving at the conventional by unconventional means? Cause to me that sounds like you’re saying that innovation is often confused with style. And if that’s what you’re getting at then I couldn’t agree more.

1 Like

Possibly Frank Zappa? Maybe best left as a conversation piece :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Another one I’ve hear credited to musician John Hartford is “All style is based on limitations”

These are basically conversation starters on the topic of creativity.

I just wanted to say I really enjoyed watching this interview. @Markmont was basically who introduced me to modern yoyoing a couple years ago and it was cool to hear both of your thoughts on flow and style. Coincidentally, Superflow is one of my favorite pocket tricks. Looking forward to the next one!

1 Like

Thank you so much for taking the time to watch/listen! So glad you liked it. Sub to my insta for updates on who the next guest is, but here’s a hint: “if your food leaves you chokin’ you better start…”

4 Likes

Mmmuucchhh respect :pray:t6::pray:t6:

4 Likes

Big big thanks :pray:t6:

3 Likes