Old yoyo - Too old?

I am having to retire my favorite fixed axle wooden yoyo: A Duncan Jeweled Tournament - Vintage. I have had it for 20+ years. Once the paint on the inside of one of the sides became rippled. I twisted it apart, sanded it smooth and put on a clear coat to protect the wood. It has been my old faithful.

Recently after replacing the string, it become beyond unresponsive. It doesn’t wind up tight enough to spin the yoyo upon a throw. The axle seems to be so smooth now that it refuses to catch at all. I have tried different types of string including a standard Duncan string to no avail.

Time to retire. :frowning:

16 Likes

RIP in peace.

I would recommend a fine shadowbox for your retired friend! Put it on a wall so you don’t forget it.

10 Likes

The response of a yoyo is dependent on the friction between the string and the entire yoyo (inner walls especially). Wear will slowly smooth out the surfaces and decrease that friction. Refinishing the inner wall probably helped the smoothing process along.

An “unresponsive” yoyo is really just a “less responsive” yoyo. So, you should find a way to increase the friction.

I don’t know much about fixed axles. My naive assumption would be to slowly rough up the inner walls near the axle. Hopefully a modder or somebody with experience rehabbing old yoyos comes along and can give specific, experience-based advice.

4 Likes

I agree. Buy/build Shadow box o rset it out on end table.

4 Likes

Throw sidewinders to adjust string tension. It’ll return just fine.

7 Likes

Common issue for fixies when changing strings. Don’t retire it. Pinch string just above yoyo and spin the yoyo to tighten the string around the axle. Once tight hold the tension when you wind up. Throw several hard sleepers and you’ll be back in business.

8 Likes

I will try the above suggestions particularly the sidewinders and pinching the string.

The inner wall was so ridged from the old paint it was unplayable. It has been working since refurb for about a year. I may try roughing up the walls near the axle as well.

It is sentimental. If I cannot get it working, it will be a keepsake in the china closet.

Thank you all.

5 Likes

Wow a beautiful throw classic

3 Likes

You can always get a New Old Stock one Mint In Box and get another 20 years of play. There are more out there.

9 Likes

I don’t think those are new old stock. I think they made them when they released them. Mid 90’s.

5 Likes

Either way those look like freshies without a lot of play time, compared to the one in the OP.

4 Likes

That’s ultimately the fate of many fine fixies however there is a method to try before you put it up for retirement. It’s based on some knowledge my Uncle imparted when I was a kid and it works for me. Apply water to the inner walls and axle. Use a paper towel or better yet a slim brush if you have one. You want some of the water to penetrate the wood but you don’t want to leave any water droplets when finished. Then allow it to completely dry. Don’t rush the drying process. Be patient. This will rejuvenate and raise the grain of the wood. You will definitely notice a difference the first time but depending on the particular wear you may want/need to repeat the process for more noticeable results. Try it! At this point there’s nothing to lose. Let me know if this helped and happy yoing!

7 Likes

Thanks for another idea. I will give it a go.

Jeff

4 Likes

After trying all of the suggested options, I have decided to retire my Jeweled Tournament. The water worked some but then the axle became polished again and lost all response.

I am sure I could twist it apart and rough the sides up around the axle and get it work. I may do that some day.

I have too many classic and modern yoyos at this point. They are going to have to step up to the plate.

Thank you for all of the suggestions.

Jeff

5 Likes

Yes I have one I bought in about 1998. They were a new release at the time.

4 Likes

I purchased mine in about 1998 as well. One of my high school students always had a yoyo ready to play and spurred my interest. At the time, I hadn’t thrown a yoyo in many years. Always collected them when I saw something new, just didn’t throw much.

3 Likes

It’s sad but it happens. Good luck finding your next favorite and happy yoing!

2 Likes

Right now it is a toss up between a Mijo and an RBC. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really want an el mijo! I am saving up for one.

2 Likes

I posted similarly. My post said that I was choosing between an “RBC or Daytripper”.

I ended up with a Mijo 6160. I’m not talented enough to know if I made the right choice, but my gut says any of the three are the right choice!

9 Likes