Old school yo-yo-ing

Hey.

Just got gifted a yo-yo and haven’t been on one for years, used to regularly enter competitions and head the local league in route one.

I just ordered myself a sabre wing brain, and I’m looking for this trick book I used to have, it was blue and the character in the front had dreadlocks. Anyone know the one??

4 Likes

Welcome to the forums! I’m sorry I can’t help you, but, there are a lot of tutorial videos here on YoYoExpert:

This is a helpful group, I’m sure someone will know exactly the book you are talking about. Enjoy your new yoyo, don’t be shy about asking questions.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply it’s cool I found it now it’s the “split the atom” book by Richie

3 Likes

Hehe i had that book way back like 25 years ago.
I think they had a red one too, book 2, Hydrogen bomb by Richie

5 Likes

:smiley:

THat’s how I learnt to yoyo back in 1998

3 Likes

Oh dang that’s bringing me back, I always wanted a book that reminds me of, it had that “Splitting the Atom” picture on it. But I learned everything I know using instruction manuals that came with my yoyos

3 Likes

here’s something you could put into a vcr way back when

10 Likes

But if ya wanted to get REALLY good…

(Which didn’t work in my case lol)

12 Likes

this is really cool and sad. it would be so cool to read a trick theory book or something of that nature

1 Like

Some people here probably looking at those thinking what’s a vcr lol :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yup we’re old :confused:

2 Likes

Last time I checked you could get a lot of this on DVD from Dennis. This was probably a couple years ago, but I do have issues with time and space.
Really great look into old school style.

3 Likes

There was one trick theory book, “The Yonomicon” by Mark McBride, from back in the '90s. It might be possible to find a used copy around. There was also some talk about a re-issue:

3 Likes

I own the yonomicon. Good stuff.

3 Likes

Back when I was just getting started,(this was the second yoyo I bought I think) I got a reproduction 1955 Duncan tournament, which came with a old style pocket sized trick book. I actually learned from it.

4 Likes

so cool!

1 Like

Stumbled up on this and brought me back to 1997…I learned off of Arne Dixon’s How to Yoyo video by Duncan. One day my 6th grade teacher brought the video into class along with purchasing the class Duncan Imperials/Butterflies. After class that day, I asked the teacher if I could borrow the tape…I took it home and had a dub made of it…I still have that dub today. Not too long ago when I found the tape (this was back when YYE had a “Why do I yoyo” video contest) I took it into my old job and digitized it, complete with the bad tracking…the nostalgia of old VHS tapes.

2 Likes