Nsk platinum plated Concave Bearing vs konKave Bearing by Dif-e-Yo

Which of these two bearings are better and you like more? Can’t decide which to get.

2 Likes

I think the platinum coating is a hype factor and historically it has been known to wear off on other brands. My vote goes to Dif-E-Yo. His bearings have consistently been a quality product and they are considerably cheaper.

9 Likes

I have a Dif-e-Yo and like it a lot and have a nsk on the way for the shutter I have coming for a cheaper practice yoyo that I don’t have to worry about it getting jacked up. And I’m not a big fan of the bearings that come with the shutter.

1 Like

Frank makes some really great stuff the konkave being just one of his innovations. Thanks Frank!!

10 Likes

The bearings that come stock in Shutters are the same bearings that are sold with thousands of Yoyofactory yo-yos sold around the World.

I am in no way suggesting that you should be a ‘fan’ of the Stock/standard Shutter bearing.

But, it would be interesting if you could share ‘why’ you are not a fan of the Shutter Centertrac bearing?

1 Like

I just prefer the Concave shape over the centertrac. Just a preference.

3 Likes

I’ve been using Dif-E-Yo bearings for a long time, and I couldn’t find a bearing that would beat them in terms of life span, quality, and consistency.

I throw really hard and I tend to break bearings; even dif-e-yo, I break them. But it takes longer compared to other bearings.

11 Likes

Based on this community poll here:

You should definitely go with Dif-e-Yo.

3 Likes

Thanks bro. That’s a pretty damn good polling.

2 Likes

You’re welcome, feel free to vote as well!

2 Likes

I’m not a professional. Hell i’m not good. But I’ve bought two NSK’s in my day, both of them were locked up. Take that as you will.

My Dif E Yo’s have all been perfect. Frank makes a solid product.

I wouldn’t waste my money on NSK

5 Likes

Plated bearings in general have a shorter lifespan due to the plating wearing/chipping off, degrading the performance.

That being said, do NSK or Dif manufacture their own bearings? I assume not, I would guess they just QC bearings they order.

To that point, I’ve tried various price tiers of concave bearings, from the $0.40 Chinese concaves to the Dif-e-yo half ceramic to the expensive full-ceramic concave bearing. Now I’m no pro, but I wasn’t able to discern a substantial difference between them, at least not to a point where I can justify $40 bearings in all my yoyos.

But if I had to choose, I’d go with Dif.

8 Likes

Even most Duncan’s come with Konkave nowadays…….

2 Likes

Grendel-yessir I have a duncan roadrunner that came with one.

2 Likes

Guess I have to give the dif-e-yo a shot!

4 Likes

You won’t be disappointed Sir.

Are we talking about these…

Anyone know what the internals look like?

2 Likes

I think it’s an eight ball, I’ve never taken one apart. However as I recall the one drop guys went 10 ball, The cold fusion went 9 ball. And Frank had the centering bearing. I, personally love the flat 10 ball from one drop, that being said, I own 11 Difs. So I still say buy Frank.

4 Likes

I believe it’s an 8 ball

1 Like

Thanks!

I’ve been de-shielding all my bearings and its interesting to see 1. the # of balls but 2. the retainer. There seems to be a couple different style retainers and I’m trying to figure out which I like better.

@Grendel OD 10 ball are no joke too, I agree! I think they have to be th e quietest.

2 Likes