Nothing Like a Good Book!

I’ve tried reading his stuff a couple of times and have never been able to get passed about page 30.

The ancient secrets of the flower of life!!

Read it, and learn how reality truly is

Ohhh dear. I prbably just have terrible taste. But I do adore all forms of ‘faction’ and so this really kind of fits the bill. His earlier works like The Name of the Rose and Foucault’s Pendulum have these fantastic bits of history woven into the story lines. Even little bits in other languages to test you out a bit if I remember correctly. I really like it all… It has a bit of the Holy Blood and Holy Grail magic to it. He really is a scholar too, so you don’t feel like you’re being fed trash. I have a suspicious feeling that a little is lost in translation though. One day I’d love to read it all in the original tongue!

Lord of the Flies
The Great Gatsby
Catcher in the Rye
the Evil Genius Trilogy
Harry Potter Series
If comic books count: Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth is a great one to read if you like 80’s Batman

My favorite series so far have been been Pendragon and Rangers Apprentice. I like pretty much all books, I’m an avid reader. Overall I’d say that my favorites genres are fantasy and sci-fi, I also love a mix of the two.

For Terry Pratchett I would start with Guards! Guards! . Give Jasper Frorde a try with the Eyer Affair. Also Nation by Terry Pratchett is one of my favorite books, even though it is for young adults.

Yes, you and jrodriguez. He’s the one that recommended them. :smiley:
I’ve tried Foucault’s Pendulum twice now. Maybe next time around.

Sci Fi and fantasy are my faves. My favorite from each is the Belgariad for fantasy and Ender’s game for Sci Fi. I am currently reading the Queen of Sorcerery (book 2 of the belgariad) and the Harry Potter series for the third time.

For the fantasy fans, you cannot miss out on the Riftwar Saga. I don’t know about any of the other series set in the same universe, but the original Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist is about as good as it gets.

The Belgariad was also great, though. And of course, there’s Lord of the Rings… which was the first “really long” printed books I ever read.

1 Like

They are all good. Pug lives through it all, like Gandalf, Allanon and Merlin.

1 Like

I like mystery or (science)fiction

I’ve read (recently)
Doctor Who: Dead of winter
The Hobbit
Sherlock Holmes (a few different ones)

2 Likes

Good old E-Bay, stocked up for another couple of months.

Some of my recent favorites are
Card turner I didn’t expect to like this book but it was surprising
The fault in our stars, looking for Alaska, paper towns, and an abundance of Katherine’s are all amazing books by John green
I loved Percy Jackson in 5th grade
Just read hunger games after the people at my school got mad at me for not reading it
The Wednesday wars, and okay for now are both great books by Gary Schmidt
Rangers apprentice is a great series
So is the mysterious Benedict society
Shakespeare has some amazing stories king Lear is one of my favorites
Edgar Allen Poe is the only poet that I have ever really enjoyed
I plan on reading erasure island next and then hitchhikers guide to the galaxy all 5 over the summer
I also tried to read all of the Harry potters but for some reason I just couldn’t keep my attention to it
The hatchet series is great and so is the majority of the books by Gary Paulson
Drums girls and dangerous pie and after ever after are also some of the best books you’ll read

If you’re going to start reading Discworld (By Terry Pratchett) I’d start with The Color of Magic and The Light Fantastic and then just go anywhere from there. Exact chronology really isn’t very important, although I would go roughly in the order that they were written.

I thought the Color of Magic was a weak start, myself. Glad I went ahead and read other of his books, though!

Just a few more that occurred to me: in terms of fantasy, I rather enjoyed The Black Company; for Sci-Fi, Hyperion Cantos was pretty good.

I recommend Guards! Guards! to start your Discworld experience.

I’ve recently started reading Les Miserables. If you get the right translation it is a very good book.

Just picked up a copy of The Great Santini and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

Le Carre are all a treat. I had a trashy Sunday with the Dresden Files, and am just re-reading K. J. Parker’s The Engineer Trilogy.