Not getting emails for DMs

The last few days I haven’t been getting any emails when I receive a DM. Interestingly enough, I do get emails for thread replies or thread mentions/quotes.

cc @codinghorror

Did you check your spam folder? Note that normally we don’t email you if your browser is currently pinging the website, because we consider that a double notification, e.g. you get a notification in the web browser on your screen, and also an email, and that would be a double notification.

You can change that behavior in your preferences if you want double notifications, and there’s also a separate setting for PMs.

3 Likes

Yep, I have it set to always email me for either type of notification.

Funny enough, they were in my spam folder. I’ve no idea why Gmail recently started marking new messages as spam, but it happened within the last two days.

2 Likes

Mine always end up in my spam folder. I just check manually now because Microsoft seems to think I don’t want to know what’s going in in yo-yo haha.

1 Like

Make sure you mark them as “not spam” so you can train GMail. Every time you do this, GMail learns what is spam and what is not.

Speaking of… I’ve gotten a bunch of spam emails recently via GMail, all in the same format… one word title “invoice”, with the content of the email a single invoice image from “Geek Squad” I guess inviting me to dispute this payment I supposedly made. I’ve gotten 10+ copies of emails exactly like this! The word “Invoice” as an email title must be very very powerful…

1 Like

Speaking of… I’ve gotten a bunch of spam emails recently via GMail, all in the same format… one word title “invoice”, with the content of the email a single invoice image from “Geek Squad” I guess inviting me to dispute this payment I supposedly made. I’ve gotten 10+ copies of emails exactly like this! The word “Invoice” as an email title must be very very powerful…

Very common phishing technique. My mom got one the other day from “PayPal” saying “Receipt from your Coinbase Invoice” that would’ve directed her to a phishing page to steal PayPal credentials. There’s also the BEC (Business Email Compromise) style of spear phishing where they’ll compromise an email account or register a lookalike domain and pretend to be the CEO and ask someone to buy gift cards or will hop onto an existing email chain and reply w/ something like “here’s the updated invoice” where the payment information has been changed to their own.

1 Like