non responsive bearing going responsive

So I was throwing my dm2 and my bearing went responsive on me any idea of why this has happened?

It’s often some debris in the bearing. Shields or no, a little strand of poly string or other small particles can get in there and create problems.

You can sometimes “clean” it of such problems just by blowing some compressed air through it. Other times you will want to do a full cleaning (tutorials can be found on this site; can’t remember exactly where but there’s a maintenance sticky somewhere).

Thank you that is very helpful! :slight_smile:

There is a lot more to know about this.

Unresponsive bearings need constant care. And will become responsive over periods of play. Be sure to de-shield your bearing. First if it becomes responsive, Start easy check the bearing seat for debris or small “defects.” Then flick your bearing on a pen, or pencil, Doesbit spin easy, rough, or not at all? If it is either of those it will either need a Pinhead of lube or cleaning. To clean your bearings. Get some 100% Pure Mineral Spirits(What I use) pour some into a small Glass cup bowl ect. just enough to cover the bearing fully. then put your bearing in. Swish it move it around with a toothpick. After about 30-45 mins (time will vary depending on how dirty your bearing is) take it out and put in on a pen, pencil then Spin it dry. After that wipe it off and dry it completely with a paper towel. Then place it in the yoyo and using a PIN dip it in the lube (MAKE SURE IT IS THIN LUBE) and touch a few bearing balls. Then spin and touch spin and touch until it feels smooth again.

After the lubing process the yoyo will be responsive for a little while. Just break it in with play.

You might need to do this once every few months or when it gets responsive again. Responsiveness can also come from the following: Double Rapped string. Fresh pads or silicone.

Hope I helped!! :slight_smile:

will the shields on the side just pop off or is there a special way to remove them?

Go here: How to deshield a bearing

That subject is covered there as well as a lot of other interesting stuff.
You only need to remove one.

Everything bcmaddog said but skip the lube it sucks

I recommend trying both! Try playing dry first, and see if you like it. You can always add lube after if you don’t like running dry.

But if you run it dry wont it lock up because of no lube?

No. You can wear down a bearing faster, and there’s a higher risk of galling (Galling - Wikipedia) without Lube, but it won’t lock up. Many many (MANY) people run their bearings dry. I like to lube mine mainly because it makes them quieter. I like quiet.

Sometimes they do lock up. But mostly not.

Right. My emphatic “no” wasn’t meant to say that a bearing won’t or can’t lock up, but that running dry doesn’t instantly (or even usually or invariably) cause a lock. If galling occurs, you’re fairly likely to lock eventually. Bcmaddog’s question asked, “Without lube, it WILL for sure lock up, won’t it?” Which isn’t the case. Running dry is very common.

Thanks for clarifying that it can happen… didn’t mean to give the wrong impression.

Ok, got it. Thanks for the explanation ;D